The Truth in Tanzaku Gai

"I'll meet you back at the inn," Kakashi said before he started off with a brisk stride, back down the street in the midday sunshine. Kakashi adjusted his hat to keep his face out of view while he performed further reconnaissance of the situation.

As her teammate and lover strode away, Kita turned to the shop mistress and in a cheery voice asked, "Do you have a boy that can help carry my packages back to our inn since my kare is gone?"

"Hmph, don't take him for granted," the middle-aged shopkeeper replied. "Just ask any woman here in town and she'll tell you - good one or bad - you never really appreciate them until they're gone."

Kita focused her gaze onto the woman, the grief in her voice was too evident and all too true.

Maybe getting information might be much easier than expected.

Sakura sat open-mouthed staring at her kare, too astounded to move. Around and around in her head, she wondered, "Can this really be happening? Did he really say what I think he just said?"

"Good, you stopped backing up," Naruto sounded all to relieved.

"Nani?" Why was that the only word that seemed able to make it past her lips?

"You were backing up...it's running away to the kyuubi, an invitation to chase, catch and take. For him its a game, but it hurts to see you run from me. Please don't run from me."

Hurt him? A pang of regret throbbed deep in Sakura's chest. Naruto was the one person she never wanted to hurt.

"Oh, Naruto...I'm so sorry! I just didn't expect...I mean I never considered... uh...um...anything like this."

Sakura dropped her head low feeling both shame and frustration. In her heart she knew she was not a shallow person, but she did not know how she felt about the kyuubi being an active part of Naruto and their love.

The shopkeeper was easy to talk to and ply information from. Kita fell into an friendly conversation with the lonely woman, listening intently as she told of the loss of her husband and two sons. It was easy to see that the woman was at her wits end, with little hope left for their return. Kita felt a deep pang of sympathy as the woman berated herself for being too demanding and sending her sons to take work outside the village. When they hadn't returned on the weekend, she had sent her husband to look for them. He too had never returned.

"Every night, I ask the Kami to watch over them and to guide them safely back home," the woman, known as Sunako, finished her eyes glistening with tears. As Kita absorbed the story, Sunako lifted her gaze then nodded to the approaching figure of Kakashi.

"Ah your man is back. He's quick. Young love is like that...you hate to be apart. Treasure it. Treasure him. But most importantly don't stay here too long."

Kita turned to see Kakashi as he strode back to the shop front. It was a beautiful bright day and his ho was solid and strong. Without his mask, Kakashi had opted to wear a hat and use a glamor jutsu to hide his true appearance. Kita wondered how he chose that particular face and why brown hair? But nothing he did could change the way she felt about him. There was no mistaking the pounding of her heart with each step he took towards her. It hadn't mattered when he lost the eye, it still didn't matter now when he wore a different face - he would forever be her true love.

Kita and Sunako watched as Kakashi closed the distance between them. Kita noticed that he was not the only person headed to the shop. Behind Kakashi, moving at a somewhat leisurely stroll was a young man, trying very hard not to look like he was following the ninja - but doing a poor job of concealing himself.

"Hmm, and it seems he's bringing a friend," Kita remarked lightly.

"Uh," Sunako shook her head and grimaced, "Okurasu. He's no one's friend. Stay away from him and his crew. They think they run this town since all the men have disappeared."