A Time To Come Together

Naruto and Sakura took up kabaato positions, becoming one with the darkness of night. From the rooftops they could easily scan in all directions as Shibani's patrons exited.

"It's going to be a long night," Sakura whispered.

Only half listening, Naruto gave a shallow nod. Seeing his almost non-existent response, Sakura gave a soft sigh. Here they were together but not.

The sound of the sigh caught his attention. Naruto cocked his head to the side and looked at Sakura. He could hear the dissatisfaction in her voice. It would be nice to be able to look in her eyes, but the details of her face were lost in the inky blackness. But just being able to see her silhouette next to him was more than enough.

"Hey Sakura-chan," he whispered.

The pink-haired kunoichi turned her head to his voice, acknowledging him with a nod and he guessed a raised eyebrow that was lost to the darkness.

Naruto opened his mouth to speak, only to realize that he really didn't know what he wanted to say to his kanojo. As Sakura stared at him, awaiting the rest of his sentence, Naruto hesitated for a moment, then held out his hand.

It was a small gesture - the offer of his hand, but to Sakura it meant the world. Somehow the normally thick-headed blond really understood that she needed something. In her mind, the ever present concern of the situation awaiting her at home was a niggling asshin that left her slightly on edge. While she could not find words to describe just what she needed, holding Naruto's hand as they surveyed the town in darkness seemed to be it.

Sakura lifted her hand to meet that of her kare. The sigh that escaped her lips as their fingers touched was completely different than the sound she had made before. This time the sound echoed warmth, love and satisfaction.

How could he do this with just one touch?

Still staring at Sakura, Naruto was somewhat amazed at two things: how warm her hand was in his and how calm she suddenly seemed. This had to be the best of all possible worlds, on a mission with Sakura - his kanojo. Naruto cracked a silly smile that could not be seen in the darkness as he turned back to surveying the streets. Life is good.

Kakashi and Kita sat expectantly on opposite sides of the room.

One watching the door, the other watching the window. Whatever was to come they were ready. With a smirk, Kita looked at Kakashi and winked. 'This is going to work out great,' she finally dared to hope as she watched the outline of his face rise into a smile behind his mask.

As sunlight began to bloom in the sky, the duo watched and waited, elsewhere their teammates did the same. The coming day held the potential to change their mission.

A gentle knock sounded twice on the door. Neither jounin moved. After a second the knob turned and the door began to creep slowly open, allowing a growing sliver of light into the still dark room. The person moved slowly, cautiously into the room as a voice asked tentatively, "Hello?"

Silently the two nin moved in perfect synchronicity, one pulling the shinnyuusha swiftly into the room into a captive hold as the other sealed the door swiftly and silently.

As the light came on, their prisoner was treated to a view of Kita's blade, cold steel held in a killing position to her throat, as Kakashi turned the small-framed shinnyuusha to face them - never releasing his death grip.

"Gee, you guys really are not morning people are you?"

Even though Jiraiya was her oldest and dearest friend for many reasons - some days Tsunade hated his guts.