8

Emery

We get in my dad's black BMW SUV and head to Manhattan to a fancy ass restaurant for dinner with the Vance's.

"Auden, please don't ask if they have chicken fingers and french fries at this place. I can tell you right now, they do not." My mom says out of no where

"what am I supposed to order?!" He asks quite loudly.

"You find something and you eat it. I'm not going to pay 40 dollars for something just to have you sulk." My dad says sternly and Auden just sits there and sulks. We pull up to the restaurant and pay for vallet and get out. We walk in and my dad says "Christian" as that's what the reservation is under. Apparently the Vance's are already here. We walk to the private room and I hear a squeal, Kimberly. I turn the corner and she comes running up and gives my mom a huge hug. Vance, Smith and Carly stand up too.

Kimberly makes her way down the line with hugs, my mom, Auden, then me, don't get me wrong love Kimberly but she's just very loud and excited about what? I don't know. Then she gets to my dad and gives him a big hug and he is not a hugger from people other than like my mom and me and Auden I guess. The awkwardness makes me laugh. Vance gives us three a hug and then goes into to give my dad a hug but he just sticks out is hand for a hand shake. We all go to sit down and Carly says "Emery come sit next to me!"

Jesus Christ if I sit there she'll just talk to me the whole time. I look at my mom and she gives me the look that says it all. Go sit next to her or I will make your life a living hell. "Ok I guess" and I walk over to my seat. I sit down, cross my legs and pull out my phone. I start snapping back some friends when it comes time for us to order. I get a water and a grilled chicken veggie pasta. I don't really make conversation but Carly keeps trying to talk to me, but I'm not in the mood. Our food comes and it's was pretty good. I eat about half. We should be leaving soon since everyone seems to be done eating. I respond to texts, from my friends and Tyler. Tyler and I keep texting when an annoying voice "who's Tyler?" I press my phone quickly against my chest.

"What?" I question harshly

"Who's the Tyler you're texting?" I look up and see everyone looking at me and then see my dad and I'm currently receiving the death glare.

"Um just a friend" I stutter

"Emery" my dad presses

"Ok it's this guy in dating" my mom and Kimberly gasp with smiles on their face that stretch from ear to ear while my dad basically rolls his eyes.

"Lemme see lemme see" Kimberly begs. I go through my camera roll and find a picture of the two of us and show her. My moms face lights up and Kimberly squeals. My dad snatches the phone and inspects the picture. He scuffs and hands me back my phone.

"Hardin calm down they're cute, so is he" my dads shoots her a death glare.

"how long have you guys been dating?" My mom questions

"Um" I clear my throat

"Emery" she presses

"1 month" I say barely audible

"Louder please"

"1 month okay?" I say loud. My dads head shoots up while my moms jaw drops.

"What the fuck emery!" My dad yells and goes to stand up but my mom stops him by putting her hand on his chest and then grabbing his hand in hers. He sits back down. Like oh my god can he not cause a scene.

"see this is why I didn't want to tell you!" I get up and walk straight out of the restaurant. We are in a nice area so it doesn't bother me being out here alone. I start walking down the street.

Why do my parents freak out about literally everything. I've been walking for about 10 minutes now and my feet are starting to hurt so I walk over to chair at a small table outside a cafe to take them off. After sitting for around 5 minutes I decide to keep walking while holding my shoes for about 10 minutes til I hear someone try to get my attention.

"Hey." I just keep walking not in the mood for any of this. Then this guy decides to take a step too far and ran my arm and I immediately jerk away.

"Don't ever touch me." I say sternly. This guy is actually scaring me. As I turn around I see this gross looking older dude that smells like he hasn't showered in two weeks. Holy shit he's actually scary looking.

"C'mon girl"

"Stop get away from me." And he grabs my arm again but this time starts pulling.

"Stop" I say trying to pull

Next thing I know this guy is laying on the side walk knocked out and I look up and see my dad with his fist clenched. I run into his arms and hug him and he hugs me back.

"I'm sorry Emery, it's just hard to watch my baby girl grow up." My heart sinks

"Im sorry I should have told you" I admit.

"It's ok, let's just go home." He pulls out his phone and calls someone. "Tess I got her, drive down west 96th, you'll see us." And he hangs up and puts it back in his pocket. "Mom is pulling the car up." I just nod

I see my moms white Range Rover pull up and we get in. The drive back to Brooklyn was quick yet silent. And when we got home it was almost 9:00 I just went upstairs, showered that man gross germs off me, changed and chilled the rest of the night. I have a new appreciation for my dad, he saved me when I needed it the most.