The Terrible Truth

It was beautiful day with cold breeze, Enric invited me to his house to get meet his mother more.

“Let’s go, am ready” I said.

“Good bye, honey” said my father.

Good bye uncle” said Enric politely.

“Take good care of my pearl” said my father giving an eye wink to him with gesture.

I was afraid that she’ll not like me, I’ll try to be nice although she was so rude with me in the party.

“Here we arrived” seemed to be excited.

When we enter the house I sat in the living room while Enric went up stairs to the restroom.

“Hello Isabelle, sorry for the last time ,it was a terrible headache” she said very nicely.

She was different maybe it was the headache after all.

“No problem, I understand” I said.

After a couple of minutes Enric came back and he seemed happy seeing me and his mother getting along.

“Now you know each other, I’ll go to work father needs me “he said in glade voice.

I was not comfortable sitting alone with Miss Katherine, it feels like am in cage and I can’t breathe well. Maybe I miss judged her and she’s really sorry for her earlier rude behavior.

“I’ll go take my medicine and take a nap, act like you are in your own house” she said as soon as her son left.

Enric brings me here to know his mother more and now she left me in room like I came to see her house not her. I was very annoyed of what she did and went for walk in their farm.

The wind was gentle and looking to the flowers made me comfort, while I was walking an old farmer was staring at me in surprised way. I went towards him, when I get to him I saw his eyes were full of tears.

“What happened sir, did I do anything wrong?!” I said worried.

“Anastasia……..” he said and still the tears were running down his chicks.

“That’s my mother’s name…..how…” I was taken aback.

“You are her daughter… you look just like your mother “he said and then looked down in sadness.

“Do you know my mother, tell me about her sir” I said.

“She was kind, pure hearted girl; she makes everyone around her happy. When she was naughty, curious girl but full of love and never forgets any of her friends” he said and stopped for moment.

“Do you believe sir, I don’t know much of my own mother, that’s makes me sad.”I said.

“I use to work in Miss Katherine’s mother house, and they were close friends but…..” he stopped again.

“Then why doesn’t she like me?” I asked.

“I waited for this moment longtime, I want to tell before but I hadn’t the enough courage. Your mother loved Katherine like a sister but Miss Katherine was very jealous of your mother, your mother fell in love with Mr. Adrian which had the same feeling to your mother, and they even get engaged. Unfortunately Katherine loved him too so she lied to Anastasia’s family which made them refuse Mr. Adrian and made your mother marry your father”

I was astounded of what I just heard, that’s explains why my father knew less about my mother. “Then what happen to Mr. Adrian?”

“He was miserable, and didn’t know why Anastasia’s family changed. In his hard time Katharine tried to be close to him and made him marry her .Mr. Adriane never forget about Anastasia, everytime they talked they talk about your mother. That made Katherine crazy and in one night, I saw her putting poison in your mother’s drink. And she made it look like your mother suicide cause of her love to Mr. Adrian she convinced them that she tried to stop your mother from that but….”

“No…no…that’s lie, I can’t believe you…no “I said crying.

“Me and my wife were there that night, working in Katherine’s house. We didn’t tell because we were afraid.” He said in sad tone. ”am old, weak but I feel culpable everyday of hiding the truth, am sorry…am really sorry” he completed in guilt.

“so ….my mother was murdered by her best friend” I said talking in shock and I  was walking like a body without a soul, eyes were full of tears, next time I opened my eyes I found myself on my bed.

“You were fainted beside Adriane house, what happened dear?” said my father concerned.

“My…..my mother was murdered, father. She was poisoned by her best friend and my future mother in law……Katherine…..”I said screaming in pain.

“What!!” he said in stun.” You mean Enric’s mother….who…who told you that”.

I told him everything that the farmer told me , my father was in pain when he heard the whole story and called Mr. Adrian  to see if knew about all this.

“Katherine did all this…..I can’t believe I lived all these years with a person who….who killed my…”said Mr. Adriane in shock.

“We have to talk with the old farmer again to make sure” said my father.

Then we all three went to Mr. Adrian’s house to talk to the farmer.

“Is true what did you said to the young lady here?” said Mr. Adrian.

“Yes sir, it’s true” said the farmer politely.                

“I trust him he never did or lied to me” said Mr. Adrian to my father.

“Why are you packing your things?” I asked the farmer.

“Miss Katherine knew that I told you everything, that’s why she fired me” said the farmer.

“Come to our house, I know you don’t have place to go” said my father kindly.

“Thank you sir” he said happily.

“Am going to Katherine” said uncle Adriane, fearless.

“Wait” said my father going after him.

In that time Enric came back home not knowing any thing.

While I was trying to talk to Enric, we heard a scram. We went toward the sound.

“Oh no” I said in astound.

“Mother, mother…..nooo” said Enric shouting in agony.

Yes, she poisoned herself after she knew that the secret was exposed and she left a letter saying;

(Am sorry but I did that cause I really loved you but even after I poisoned Anastasia her ghost lived between us and after all these years comes her daughter to reveal her mother death.

Am sorry son I didn’t want you to have killer as your mother, am really sorry)