Chapter 14: Alek Russo

Three years ago:

I am rushing down the streets of New York, heart beating loud in my chest as I make my way to the alleyway my elder brother Matteo is waiting for me at.

Five minutes ago I hacked into a phone I'd found in a small cafe and found their account balance. It had been a horribly large number, so I slipped a good two million out of it before texting my brother to meet up.

After all, I'd stolen the money for him.

A week ago, he'd asked me to help him get a hold of some money and there was no way I was going to let him down. And so, I stole two million dollars from a spoiled girl by the name of Mary Karls which I doubt was her real name. I still remembered her bright red phone and the small charm that hung from the top and by the looks of it, the girl was probably no older than fifteen.

Now, I am rushing as fast as I can pass cars dressed up in a ridiculous disguise to hide my Russo identity. This is Kazimi territory and I am not welcome here but both gangs must keep an appearance to let our friendship between each other last.

Last as long as possible at least.

There is only one thing I can think of as I turn left and into a long and abandoned road, the wet streets soaking into my shoes and making my socks wet.

My brother is depending on me.

I don't know what this money is for, but if Matteo wants it, it must be something important. It has to be. He promised me it was for the best, for both of us and by the look in his eyes I could tell he was telling the truth.

But what could possibly be so important?

"Watch yourself," a homeless man grunts loudly, a cigarette between his lips before murmuring in a low breath, "stupid fucking boys."

I say nothing as I hurry down the road, hands in my pockets and head down.

"Ayo, got any bucks on you?" the same man yells after me. "You! Boy! I'm speaking to you!"

I stop in my tracks. Should I turn around? Should I answer? Or should I keep walking?

"I'm talking to you, young man," the man stops before me, a snarl in his mouth. "You stupid deaf little piece of-"

I look up, my black eyes meeting his and he steps back, horror settling in his eyes.

"M-m-my apologies, s-s-sir-"

I pull my hand out of my pocket and watch the man flinch. Instead, I hand him a hundred bucks I'd found in my coat and said, "Don't tell anyone I was here."

The man nods so hard I think his head might fall off. And then, I turn and quickly make my way towards the alleyway where my brother awaits me.

"Alek?" It's Matteo's voice, calling to me. "Alek, fratello!"

I turn quickly as I notice Matteo rushing down the sidewalk behind me. He looks tired, eye bags under his eyes. He's only twenty and works twice as hard as he should, trying to please papa, and I can only stare.

"Matteo?" I whisper.

He grabs my shoulders, leading me into the safety of an abandoned alleyway and shakes me slightly. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? Did someone touch you?"