Chapter 30: Mae Kazimi

I'm in the shower, shaving all that hair that comes with being a brown girl and groaning about the pain in my back when my foot almost slips in the tub and I almost fall onto my ass.

"Goddamnit, Mae," I snap at myself. "Get a hold of yourself."

The conversation with Alek I had almost thirty minutes ago is repeating over and over inside my head and I'm tired of thinking about it. I'm tired of thinking of things I could have said and cringing over the things I did say.

Ding!

My phone blinks from where it sits on the counter near the sink and I stop shaving my leg to peer up at the screen. The notification reads 'A New Message from Userfreddysox1" from the HIT website and I take a deep breath. I drop my shaver onto the floor and climb out the tub, gripping the sink tightly and click the notification.

It takes me to the website and I read the message.

Userfreddysox1: Yan Zhào. Seventh Avenue, East building. Building 3, floor 7, door 552. She will be in her bedroom tonight.

I open and close my mouth. Wow. Wow. I wonder what Userfreddysox1 and Yan Zhào's story is. Jealous lover? Hateful brother? Angry friend? Perhaps they are enemies like Alek and I once were or they want each other's money. Maybe they are fighting for the same thing but Userfreddysox1 is about to get it first.

Userfreddysox1: $100,000 bucks. I know it's not much, but it's all I have.

I raise my eyebrows, amused. My kills have always been worth much more than this, but today's reason isn't money. I need to get back into my game and I haven't interacted with the HIT network in a long while. I need to get a bullseye soon.

You: Anything important I need to know before I head in tonight?

If the user is surprised that I accepted, they offer no sign nor any word of thanks. Instead, they reply to me in moments.

Userfreddysox1: She comes home at 8:00 pm. Wait till 8:50 before you go in. She'll be in the shower.

Userfreddysox1: Door 552 is towards the right

Userfreddysox1: It's better if you don't use the elevator. You might get caught.

I stare at the screen, blinking. They must be someone close to her then, especially if they know what time she takes a shower at.

You: Why?

Userfreddysox1: Evil.

I don't get a response after that.

I quickly make my way back to the tub to finish shaving because it seems like I will be busy tonight.

At least this time, I'll be murdering someone evil.

Someone almost as evil as me.

_________________________

I open my bedroom window and peek down the long way down. I already have a rope secured and I'm ready to jump, when there's a loud knock on the door.

I grit my teeth and ignore it.

I grasp the rope and began to quickly slide down the walls of the Russo mansion, scaling the building until my feet finally hit the grass below.

Phew. That was close.

I let my hands follow the length of the walls of the house, trailing it, hidden amongst the shadows until my bike comes into view. It's parked exactly where I left it last and I have to hurry across the lawn to get to it but by the time I've arrived, I notice something horribly wrong with it.