Chapter 10: Mae Kazimi

Controlling an angry Italian mafia heir is harder than it sounds. If it wasn't for Hale's training, I'd probably end up with my throat slit and buried six feet under.

Actually, I doubt Alek would even bother burying me.

"Alek-"

"Only my friends call me Alek," he barks, turning to me with such anger, I take a step back, head hitting the wall. "And you? You're not my friend."

"Fine, Russo. Whatever the hell you're about to do, don't."

"I'm about to fucking slit your throat."

"What?"

"I'm about to slit your throat," he repeats, voice so deathly calm it makes my legs slightly shake. "And then leave you here to choke on your own blood."

"Oh."

"The rats are quite hungry."

He's standing so close to my face I can feel his hot breath on my face. And for a second, my core melts and my heart begins to race in my chest.

And then he raises his eyebrows as if to mock me and scoffs, "You're a fool, Kazimi. And fools don't make it far in the mafia."

I snap out of whatever spell he'd cast over me and I blink, shoving him back and away from my face, "I don't care what the hell you think about me, Russo. I'm trying to save you from a grave mistake. If you speak to your step-mother now, everything will go to hell. She'll play you like a puppet, give your father a reason to kick you out for treason and turn your brother against you. You'll have more than just twenty assassins to worry about if you're kicked out of the mafia! You'll have an entire army hunting you!"

Alek cocks his jaw, but he knows I'm right. Every possibility is already running through his mind and I watch him as he glares at me with hateful eyes. He's not stupid. In fact, Alek's too smart for his own good.

That's what makes him dangerous.

He suddenly turns around and makes for the door that leads up the first floor, "Get some answers out of Rick and report back to me with your findings."

And with a flick of his hand, I'm dismissed.

I do everything I can not to throw the knife in my hands at his head.

"It's a bad idea to turn your back to your enemy who has a weapon in her hands," I can't help but say after him.

He pauses on one of the staircases and replies without turning around, "Perhaps. But my enemy is a lousy shot."

And with that he disappears up the stairs.

Only if he fucking knew who he was talking to.

If I threw my knife from here, it would still make it. If there was something I was good at, then it was aim.

My aim was perfect. Or at least I like to believe it was.

I turn around to the room that's beside Roberto's and make my way towards it. I twist the doorknob to check whether it's open but it doesn't budge.

The motherfucker forgot to give me the keys.

Swearing under my breath, I turn towards the staircase and begin to quickly make my way up. Why the hell don't they have an elevator for the basement? Why the hell is he making me run up and down the stairs when I could literally use the elevator?

It's only thanks to my training that I am not out of breath.

"You," I point to a guard. "Where's Alek?"