Chapter 37: Mae Kazimi

The feeling of complete loss as your heart stops in place must be the worst feeling in the world.

And I'm going through it right now.

I grab Alek's wrist without realizing it as Rashid and Kai freeze in place, eyes straying to the phone inside of Alek's hands. He is as pale as I, and for a moment we are lost in each other's eyes as we realize what is about to happen.

"Get out of the car," Alek snarls into the phone. "Both of you, get out of the car and leave the bomb inside. Run-"

"We're almost there," Lorenzo says shakily. "Listen, Alek, we're literally seconds away from the sight and Avery is driving like crazy. I'll just toss it and then we'll drive off-"

"No!" I shout, and I can feel hysteria already taking a choking hold on my throat. "Just run, damn it! Please! Just take Avery and run!"

"Fucking hell," Diego swears. "Rashid, track them down and send me their location. I'm going after them."

Kai follows after Diego, picking up his leather jacket from the table, "I'm coming."

Rashid opens his laptop, not needing to be told twice. I watch as he lets his anger towards the situation out on his laptop, typing in a hurry on his laptop as he pulls open his tracking apps.

I can still hear the sound of wind screeching through the phone and the hard breathing of Lorenzo on the other side and I can only think of the fear the two must be feeling as they sit inside the car with the bomb.

"Two minutes," Yan says quietly from where she sits against the wall.

Alek grits his teeth, "Shut the fuck up."

"Alek," I shake him. "Alek, convince them to get out. Please-"

His jaw clenches as my nails dig into his skin. He does nothing to move my hand as he speaks into the phone, "Lorenzo, I'm not going to say this twice. Get out of the car."

"No," Lorenzo breathes on the other side. "I'm not getting out of the car-"

"Just do as he says!" I hiss. "Lorenzo, get Avery and get out!"

"All of you shut up!" Avery screams from the other side and I can hear hysterics in her voice. "Just shut up, my God. There's a bomb ticking in our hands and we're almost to the sight, okay? It's just a bomb, get over it. I'm not dying without visiting Japan at least once!"

"You should visit Japan," Lorenzo mutters. "We should visit Japan."

I don't hear Avery's reply because my head is roaring. The clock is ticking and I can hear it's every move as Alek's wrist burns under my touch.

"One minute," Yan whispers.

Alek shakes his head, black hair brushing against his brow as he closes his eyes. I can read tense lines on his face and he purses his lips. I can feel his heartbeat against his skin from where I hold his wrist, my nails digging deeper into his skin with every second we waste, sitting here and waiting for Avery and Lorenzo to get rid of the bomb.

I think I'm going to throw up.

"They're muted," Lorenzo whispers, and my eyes narrow along with everyone else's. "Avery, get out of the car and give me the wheel. Hurry, there's only thirty seconds."

My heart drops.

"No, what the fuck?" Avery is shaking and I can hear it in her voice. "Enzo, don't shit with me, it's not the time."

I hear shuffling and then, "Fine, listen. Go to Japan okay? And tell my brother I love him, yeah? I don't know....I...I just wanted to help Matteo, he has to understand-"