Chapter 41: Mae Kazimi

Note: the video above is something to listen to while reading the dancing parts for a better experience (WEAR HEADPHONES!!!!). Also, the pic above is what Mae wears to the party.

__________________________________

Chapter 41: Mae Kazimi

"So tell me about yourself," says Aunt Drey after an hour of eating dinner. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat dinner for an hour. Thirty minutes is tops, but the dinner tonight seems to drone on and on and on as Aunt Drey interrogates every single one of us.

And now it's my turn.

"I'm an assassin," I smile broadly at her. "I kill people."

"Bad people, I hope," Aunt Drey hums, taking another bite of her cake. "Do you work under The HIT network?"

"Yeah," I say, unsure what else to tell her. Alek told me Aunt Drey knew who he was. She knew who Diego works for as well. She knows everything and there was no point in lying to her face.

"Any interesting people you've killed lately?" she asks, eyes wide.

I clear my throat, eyes catching Alek's stare from across the table, "No, not really."

I was supposed to kill Alek.

Aunt Drey seems to not like my answers, "What did you say your name was again?"

"Mae?"

"No, full name."

Ah, shit. That's where we're going.

"Uh...Mae Kazimi...."

Aunt Drey spits out her food, "I knew it! You're his daughter, aren't you?"

I think I dropped my spoon loudly onto my plate because there's a loud clatter.

"Oh sorry dear," she winces, brushing white hair behind her ear. "I didn't mean to startle you."

I want to do nothing but run the hell out of here. Diego's cousins, Mary and Martin sit beside each other, pretending to be very interested in the tablecloth they see every day.

"I don't have any connections with them," I offer her the last interesting piece of all of this.

Aunt Drey narrows her eyes at me as she begins to look me up and down. She is still staring at me when I choke down whatever is left on my plate and when I open my mouth to excuse myself, Mary speaks up shyly.

"So....there's this party happening tonight near campus, and I was wondering if you guys wanted to come?" Mary says, looking at all of us. "It's not too far away, and I have some extra dresses you girls might like...."

"Sure," Avery says, playing with her blond hair.

Mary beams and waits for the boys.

"Duhh, Mary," Diego rolls his eyes. "We're all coming."

Mary claps her hands as Aunt Drey continues to stare at me. Mary pushes in her chair and grabs Avery's hand, tugging her towards the staircase, "Mae! Are you coming?"

I know Avery doesn't want to speak, but I nod and smile. I'll do anything to get away from Aunt Drey's constant stares and so I get up, excuse myself and rush after the girls.

__________________________

Mary leaves ten minutes after showing us her closet that was full of dresses and shirts and pants that anyone could ever dream of. I wouldn't say I was surprised, not when my closet was equally as large, but I would say I approved of the girls' style.