Jake and Mack

This job is eating me alive. I can't breathe anymore. I spent all these years trying to be the good guy, the man in the white hat.

I'm not becoming like them. I am them.

"Hey kids! Who wants to hold my police badge?" I smiled brightly at all of them as they raised their hand high in the air.

Somehow I had agreed to go to my daughter's school and share a little bit of my job. It had been fun telling all the kids all the stories that I had from my early days in the NYPD. I had truly seen a lot.

"Thank you for coming detective Peralta" the teacher greeted me with an awkward smile. "Although it wasn't quite necessary that you shared that much of your experience" she said next and I realized what the face was for. I might have been a little too explicit explaining police work, but hey. What was 'bring your dad to school' day about anyways?

"My pleasure" I smiled gently to the teacher before I felt a little someone tackling me into a hug. "Hey gorgeous" I greeted my little one as she climbed her way to my arms.

"Daddy! My friends say you're the coolest dad ever" Holly delivered the news with a bright smile on her beautiful face. She looked just like my wife Amy whenever she finished a big fat application.

"I'm glad sweetie, but daddy has to go back to work. C'mon, give me a big kiss" I asked and she complied before running off to play with her friends during recess.

My eldest Mack wasn't as extrovert and normally he was the most structured out of the two of them, but lately he had been acting a bit odd, and it had gotten into Amy's nerves. But never in my life I figured I'd be receiving a call like that on that precise day where everything seemed to roll on wheels.

"Peralta" I answered the phone, totally unprepared for the news this call brought. "What the hell?" my eyes went wide open as I nearly dropped the phone from my hand.

**

**

"What the hell is going on here? Charles?" I asked my friend for an explanation as I stomped into the precinct, not being able to wrap my head around this scenario.

"The police officers over there caught Mack red handed taking something from a store. I'm so sorry Jake" he informed in an apologetic tone, probably trying to persuade me from freaking out. But I was way beyond that.

"No way" I said before my eyes connected with my boy's. They were beaming guilt. "Yes way" I gulped as the truth sunk in my chest.

"Don't worry. He's little so they let him off with a warning" my friend tried to soothe the tension but I knew as soon as we got home hell was going to break loose. I was certain Amy would kill him this time, and I was disappointed in him as well.

"Yeah, thanks Boyle. I'll take him home now" I decided to just get on with it before people asked too many questions. I wasn't exactly proud to have my own son sitting there like a criminal.

On our way home, we barely spoke. I didn't know where to start, so I figured it was best just to go to our place and settle things there. Of course Amy had already been informed, since news travelled fast in the 99, especially when you were a Sargeant like she was.

"Mack I'm so disappointed in you. Get to your room right now" she instructed strictly while pointing an angry finger to the hallway, as soon as she landed her eyes on him.

My wife had a way of being intimidating as hell. Even I got the shivers.

With his head down, our son complied and shut the door of his bedroom, leaving me and Amy alone. It's not that I wasn't angry at him as well, but she was so harsh on my boy that I felt I had to do something to soothe her rage.