Chappie and Deon

I pulled my van on the side of a deserted building with nothing left in it but foundation, drugs and of course my now dear fellows. I had finally developed actual artificial intelligence only to be stolen by a bunch of criminals, who are in need of my robot so badly they put a gun on my head for me to build it. I was amazed with my robot Chappie's performance on his first day. He's like a child, he needs to be taught things so he can develop his mind. I needed to spend as much time as I could to make sure those gangsters wouldn't corrupt my creation. I couldn't be more right on that.

As Chappie's maker I felt responsible for everything he did, and so you'll understand why I almost went nuts when I saw him sitting right next to a pile of narcotics while the other guy was counting them and putting them in a bag. I tried not to pay attention to it though, since Chappie looked happy and I had lots of things to teach him.

"Hello my little one. Hello" I greeted my creation with great excitement, hoping he'd had learnt to say hello by now, even if it was just from hearing the other three. Chappie blinked a few times in confusion but he looked excited to see me too.

"Heeey. What's up fuck mother?" he replied happily to me.

I quickly stood up straight from my crouching position and rearranged my glasses on my face. Did I really just hear him saying that?

"How's shit?" he asked then and kept making that sniffling noise that had just gotten to my nerves.

"W-where did you learn that from? These guys?" I asked already irritated they had corrupted the mind of a child robot. I mean who does that?

After that one of the dudes, Amerika tried to confront me with a knife and it made me sick to see Chappie imitating everything he was doing. This would end up bad if I didn't put an end to it first. And I knew just how to.

"Chappie please, have respect for me. I'm your maker" I said giving the childish robot in front of me a harsh look.

He seemed not impressed though. He was too innocent to see the wrong of his actions, and there was no way I'd get anywhere with him with the other two watching my every move.

"Can I just have a moment alone with him please?" I asked and luckily the girl of the group took the arm of her friend Amerika and pulled him out of there, giving me some time alone with my creation.

Good. We were gonna need it.

"Chappie listen to me: I'm your maker. I brought you into this world, ok? This is serious. You mustn't engage in these people's lifestyle choices" I said while placing a hand on his metallic shoulder and leaning in a little to look at him in the eye.

For a moment I took pity of the robot but I knew in my heart that what I was about to do had to be done. It could save Chappie from having an entire life of crimes. Then so be it.

"Ok buddy, come here. Come closer" I said gesturing for him to approach the couch that was by there. He obeyed without question, probably oblivious to what was about to happen.

He looked at me with expectant eyes while facing the couch like I had instructed him to do. I sighed heavily, getting ready to punish the childish robot. "Listen Chappie, what these people do for living it's not ok. You mustn't imitate anything from them, alright? What they do is called a crime, and a crime will always lead you to consequences. Punishment. I need you to understand that, so now please bend over the couch"

I helped him into the position, his metallic bum sticking out for me to dish out punishment. Of course I had to find something I could use, so I wouldn't hurt my hand. My robot was in fact incapable of feeling actual pain, but that's not something he knew. He just imagines things hurt so this would be an effective punishment without endangering his system.

I found in the crumbles a metal stick, fairly thick. It was a little bit heavy but it'd have to do to teach Chappie a lesson. I saw him eyeing the stick carefully but didn't have much time to react. I harshly brought it on his metal rear end and in a second I heard him whimpering.

"Maker! Why you do this?" he started repeating over and over again as I continued to lay down hard smacks with the implement in my hand.

"Chappie this is called punishment. When you do something you aren't supposed to, this is what happens so you learn not to do it again" I said while laying down a few more.

"Please! No. Chappie don't want punishment" he cried with his robotic yet childish and impressively human manners. I have to tell you my heart hurt, but I knew deep down this was what was best for him.

I laid down a few more strikes before I took a short rest. It wasn't easy at all to whoop a steel bum and my arm was getting tired. Chappie was still whimpering apologies but that wasn't enough yet. Right now he was just scared which hurt me, but I still needed for him to truly understand what was going was not to harm him. It was to teach him.

"Alright Chappie listen" I said while rubbing his cold metal back as to comfort him a bit.

"No punishment?" he asked me while looking at me with his electronic eyes. I didn't know if my brain was playing games with me or I saw true sadness in them.

"No Chappie, you still have some more punishment coming... but I really need you to listen before I continue" I added quickly as I saw he was back to whimpering and begging. "Chappie listen" he said quietly when I finally coaxed him to stay calmed. "Good boy Chappie. Now hear me: what these people do is wrong. I'm your maker and it's my job to make sure you don't do any of this ever again. It's bad and it's dangerous, and I don't want anything to happen to you. I'm looking after you, alright?" I said as my creation seemed to have calmed himself down a bit.

He nodded his head slowly as I lifted the stick again and with a heavy heart brought it back down over his rear. He wasn't whimpering or begging anymore, but taking his punishment quietly. Still he let out a few sobs so I knew I was getting somewhere with him.

"You're not gonna imitate them anymore, are you Chappie?" I said trying to steel my voice as I was firmly whipping his metallic bum.

"Never! Maker please, no more punishment" he cried and I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I made a quick deal of whipping his hard bum five more times before throwing away the metal stick. The loud noise made him flinch in fear and I mentally cursed myself. I needed to be extra careful now.

"It's ok little one, it's ok. Shhh it's over now" I promise that it's over, I said as I helped him up.

I was afraid for a second he was going to hate me, that I'd bring to the surface really strong feelings of fear and distrust on him. Just like a little kid, he threw himself to my arms so forcefully we almost fell down. I did what I could to keep my balance as the taller than me robot wouldn't stop bawling apologies. I wrapped my arms around him and let him place his heavy head on my shoulder. I didn't care in that moment, I had to comfort that poor thing.

After a few minutes where I sincerely thought his cries were never going to die down, he was reduced to little hiccups. I couldn't help but coo at that. He looked adorable in my arms.

"It's ok Chappie, listen: no more counting narcotics, no robberies, no crimes" I spoke firmly while eyeing him.

"Chappie no crimes" he sniffled while looking into my eyes.

"Ok, you gotta promise me that" I said getting serious for a second as he tried to say something but he clearly didn't understand me.

"What is 'promise'?" he asked tilting his head to one side.

"You promise me, your maker, that you'll never do any of those things. Alright? You can't break a promise Chappie" I stated clearly to the robot in front of me.

He seemed to consider what I just told him as I patiently waited for his answer.

"Chappie promise" he said with excitement as I smiled to him.

"Good! Yes, yes Chappie. That's great" I said and hugged him again.

After a few minutes the criminals returned and told me it was about time for me to start with my thing. I had brought lots of stuff to teach him that day, so we just got to it. I smiled as my creation painted and played like a real person. His curiosity amazed me but his innocence scared me to no end. I'd have to keep an eye on him if I wanted to protect him from these people.

By Psparkle022