7

I run into the hall and find the nearest bathroom. I stand at the sink looking into the mirror. I splashed my face with cold water and pat it dry. I stare into the mirror once again. Where have I gone? What have I done?

I hear footsteps approaching and I act as if I am drying my hands. I see in the mirror that's it's Mrs. Sumner. I out my head down and throw away the paper towel. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have followed you in here," she said. "Are you okay?" she asked me looking concerned. "Yea. I just need to get home." Damnit I left my shit in the classroom. And I don't got my phone. 

"How long do you have to wait? You sit in my class and do your homework if you'd like." she told me. "That's okay I was just going to sit in the cafeteria." I told her knowing it would probably be over an hour late because dads working and mom hasn't responded to my text. "Oh okay. You're more than welcome to stay in my class. Nothing will happen. You can just have silence to work on your homework or take a nap," she said. "Okay." I said, thinking through all of the possible scenarios. "I'll leave the door stopper in. Just come on it." she says as she walked out of the bathroom.

I look at myself one more time in my mirror and follow behind her shortly after. She has a blanket and pillow set out on the couch. Nap or homework? I decide to take a nap. I take off my shoes and lay them at one end of the couch. I move the pillow under my head and throw the blanket over me.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dont remember anything except waking up to Mrs. Sumner tapping me on the should telling me it's 4 o'clock and that I should probably get home before my parents worry. " Oh shit sorry," I said. She looked at me surprised. Oh my god I just cussed in front of her, AGAIN. Did mom text me back? I sit up quickly and check my phone. Nope not one single message from her.

"Do you need a ride home?" she asked.
"Umm yea probably. But only if it wouldn't be too much." I said.
"Of course not honey. Give me just a second to pack up my things." she said.

I text mom and let her know, I no longer need a ride. Of course she could probably cared less, she knew I would've figured out some way home.

I folded up her blanket and put it back with the pillow on the couch. I slip on my shoes and grab my things. She walks out the room and I follow her. She locks the door and heads out the building. Man this school really is empty.

"You can sit up front. I'm just going to put my things in the back seat." She says as she unlocks the door. I hop in the front seat and feel her eyes on me as I get my buckle on. I turn around and she's rearranging the kids toys in the backseat to make room for her school things. She shuts the door and gets up front.

"Do you want me to type in my address or do you just want me to tell you where to go?" I asked. I don't think she wants to her husband to see that she's been somewhere. I mean I don't know what he would think of that because I don't know their relationship. "You can just tell me how to get there. I don't think you want your address saved in my car GPS," she said jokingly, as she pulls out of the parking lot.

"I'm sorry again," I said as we get closer to my house. "It's okay. Really." She said pulling into the driveway. She parks the car and I start to get out. "Do you want my phone number?" She asked me. I looked up at her and tried to keep in my shocked look. It obviously didn't work because she quickly added "in case you ever need another ride or wanna talk or anything really." "Ummmm okay," I said as I handed her my phone. She added her contact as "Mrs. Sumner with a purple heart emoji." I let out a small snicker. "What's so funny?" She asked me. "My favorite color is purple too," I said smiling at her. She just smiled back.

"Thank you again for the ride, Mrs. Sumner."
"Anytime, Brooke." She said holding my hand. "See you Monday," I said as she let go of my hand and I got out of the car.

I head up the steps to the door. It's locked. Mrs. Sumner watches me as I fumble with my keys and unlock the door. I wave and she waves back and drives off. It's weird seeing her vehicle drive away from my house.