20

The following week at school I and Mrs. Sumner did not speak. We didn't even steal at a glance at each other. I sat at my desk everyday wishing Mrs. Sumner would talk to me, and wishing I had the guts to say something to her.

After a whole week of not talking to each other, it was finally Friday. I thought about why Mrs. Sumner hadn't spoken to me. I thought of all the things I wanted to tell her. How much I missed her. How much I missed her voice. How much I missed her touch and smell. I missed that woman like she was the only person in a world full of lonely people. She made me feel seen and wanted and I hope I provided her with the same.

I sat in the library thinking and thinking. Should I even go to class?  I still had another class before hers butI had missed our talks and so deeply wanted to just talk to Mrs. Sumner and see where her head was at. She never text me back after last Friday and I still wasn't sure if I had left marks on her and that was the reason Mr. Sumner had raised his voice or if they jus weren't in good standing at the moment. I thought more about what to do. I sent her a quick text that I was in the library.

———————

Brooke thought a little more about whether or not to go to class. She would most likely be the only one there anyway because it was just a makeup day. She decides to use the bathroom and figure it out after. Just as she sits down she hears the bell ring, which end the class she had decided to skip. Another to skip and she would be with Mrs. Sumner. She hadn't even used the bathroom, but just sat there for a moment. . She hears someone come into the bathroom. She walks out to wash her hands. "Hey" a voice says from the left corner. She looks over and it's Jessica. "Oh hey." She says back smiling. The bell rings for her second to last class to start but she doesn't bother going anywhere. Jessica was a good friend of Brooke's back in middle school but they separated in high school when they had no classes together. She had always had a crush on Jess but she never knew how she felt towards Brooke so she never made her move. Jessica sits up on the ledge as smoke exits her mouth. "Want some?" She asks nudging the vape to Brooke.

                ———————————

Mrs. Sumner's POV
My second to last class has started but there is literally no one here. I wouldn't expect anyone to be here. It's just I had thought Brooke would come and see me. I remember her texting me she was in the library so I decided after I graded a couple papers to go and see her.

I got to the library but she wasn't there. I looked around for any sign of her or her things. Maybe she left? But she wouldn't have had a ride. And she hadn't made her way to my classroom otherwise I would've seen her. She must be in the bathroom.

                     ————————

As Mrs. Sumner made her way to the library Brooke was in the bathroom. Brooke isn't really one to do drugs or anything seen as "risky" or "bad" behavior. She dries her hands and walks over in between Jess's legs. "Sure, but imma be honest with you. I've never hit a vape before," which was a lie, but Jess had never seen her vape so she wouldn't know.  "You'll be fine." Jessica said as she nudged her with her elbow.

Brooke took a hit and started coughing, it had been awhile. Jess started laughing. "Okay maybe you won't be fine." "Shut up" Brooke said after finally catching her breath. "You know I've missed you Brooklynn." Jess said looking at the girl who was once her best friend. Brooke looked up at her and smiled. "I've missed you too."

"Life's been hard. Fucking high school man." Jess said laughing, taking another hit from her vape. She handed it to Brooke as she turned her head to let out the smoke. "Okay maybe this time you'll actually be fine." She said placing a hand on Brooke's shoulder. "I think I got this." Brooke said confidently. She took a puff and was able to actually get through it without choking. "Aye look at my girl go." She said smiling at Brooke.