Friends don't kiss friends.

LISTEN. I was gonna make this a full fic and I still might make it but I've been sitting on this chapter like a chicken sits on it's egg for MONTHS now so I'm just gonna post it as a oneshot and it can become a full fic later if I can be bothered to sit my ass down and write.

Chapter 1.

The night it first happened was cold.

Cold, windy, rainy and miserable. The sky was covered in a thick layer of dark grey clouds, the rain pouring in sheets. The road was nearly flooded and everytime a car passed by the muddy water would fly up and splash anyone walking by on the pavement.

An unsurprisingly dreary night for the winter holidays. Although looking at the outfit Zhao had chosen to wear on this day, it'd seem like this was a surprise storm in the middle of the summer. His dark hair had multiple orange coloured clips in it to hold the longer parts out of his stone grey eyes, he wore a purple t-shirt with a darker purple zip up hoodie over it, beige shorts and coal grey trainers with red accents on them. He'd come completely unprepared for the weather even though it had been predicted on the weather forecast that morning. He was completely soaked through, the rain water dripping off his clothes and tan skin.

Beside him, slightly more correctly equipped for the weather, was Pepe. The boy with naturally brown hair and the dyed blonde section was wrapped up in a large forest green winter coat with light hazel fake fur details around the cuffs and the edge of the hood. Underneath the coat however he was just wearing his lime green soccer uniform, as he hadn't bothered to change before leaving practice. He had changed his shoes however from his blue soccer cleats into some white trainers. He carried his other clothes and his shoes in a blue drawstring bag slung over one shoulder. In one of Pepe's hands he held an umbrella, in the other he held one of Zhao's hands.

The two boys were no strangers to holding hands, they'd been friends for years and had become rather close, not that Pepe would admit that. The two often held hands just because, did they really need a reason? Other times it was so Pepe could drag Zhao away from doing anything stupid. He would admit that.

This particular instance was a mixture of both reasons, although if you asked Pepe he'd say it was only the second one. He'd actually decided it was the most efficient way of getting Zhao to stay under the umbrella and not run ahead or fall behind whenever he got distracted by something, which would cause him to become even more drenched. It was working, just about.

The street lamps were on and shining a dim light down on the pavement, reflecting off all the puddles and falling droplets of water. The skeletal branches of the trees that'd lost their leaves in the autumn making creepy shadows in the street.

The two teens had been talking at first but had then become quiet finding they didn't have much to talk about on this day. This walk was a regular routine for the two, they were both headed to their houses, Zhao's house was first as it was nearest, then once he'd gone inside Pepe would continue on his way to his place just a street away.

Pepe was deep in thought about the soccer practice he'd just had, thinking up strategies for games, sure there wasn't going to be a game until the spring next year but it's always best to be prepared. When he spotted a small dark blur running towards the pair of them. Mostly heading directly towards the boy to his left. Reacting quickly he pulled the other towards him and out of the way of what he'd now realised was a soaking wet cat. He shuddered a little, he'd never really liked cats much as they were the natural prey of birds, like his pet budgie. One of his classmates who he rarely talks to has a ton of cats as pets, it weirds him out a little but then again there's rumors that the twins in his class adopted a baby raccoon, so there's that.

"Uhm what?" Zhao murmured confusedly, bringing Pepe out of his thoughts about the weird pets his classmates own and back into the present time.

"Some cat was running towards you." He replied bluntly as Zhao stepped back away from him into his former position to Pepe's left. "It probably would've knocked you over. You should be thanking me."

Zhao let out a short of laughter "Oh I seeee..." He drew out the 'ee' sound, "Thanks," He smiled.

"Yeah, no problem."

The two continued walking, they turned the corner into the street where Zhao lives and both kept walking until they were two houses away from Zhao's, when Zhao stopped, Pepe let go of his hand.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" He checked (unnecessarily, as the plan to meet up on Christmas Eve had been decided for weeks now).

Pepe gave him a confirmation anyway, "Yeah, meet in town at ten o'clock. I'd say don't be late but knowing you.." He muttered the last part but Zhao still caught it anyway.

"Ha yeah."

Silence filled the air between them, making the atmosphere slightly awkward. Zhao started fidgeting with his hands while Pepe just looked away towards the rain pouring down into the road.

"Well, yeah.. Guess I'll see you tomorrow." Zhao repeated, nodding.

Pepe looked back towards him, "Yeah.."

That was when Zhao leaned in and placed a kiss on Pepe's cheek. "See you tomorrow!" He called out, running off through the rain towards his house.

Out of shock Pepe could barely bring up a hand to wave.

Once he was able to move again, the surprise had not worn off but only just enough so that he could function. He continued the walk back to his place, his mind working in overdrive.

He couldn't quite get his head around or figure out what had just happened. It confused him all the way home, while he took his shoes and coat off in the hallway and while he changed out of his kit into his more comfortable and warm home clothes. It wasn't until he finally collapsed down on his bed when it finally got through to him;

Zhao had kissed him.