Life, like love, is Royally unfair.

Chet sighed as he finally closed the door to his bedroom. Taking his crown off and setting it down on his desk beside the tall pile of books he'd been tasked with reading so that he'd gain some more understanding of how to rule one day. As if he hadn't just spent all day in royal court with his parents, the King and Queen, watching how they made decisions for how to help their subjects with their worries and complaints. It made sense that he had to watch and learn from them, he would be the King someday and that would be his job, along with whichever girl his parents picked out to be his wife.
That last part always left a sour taste in his mouth. The way his parents had to pick the person he'd be forced to spend the rest of his life with, the person he'd be made to rule this Kingdom with, the person he was supposed to love. Although, it wouldn't be much better if he was allowed to pick his own future Queen...
After all, it isn't a woman who he's in love with.

There were so many reasons as to why he'd never be allowed to be with the one he loved but the main two were as follows.
One, according to the law you weren't supposed to love someone of the same gender as you, so by extension, you weren't allowed to be in a relationship with or marry someone of the same gender either.
Two, a noble, especially not the future King or the current Prince, could not be with a commoner, it was expected that he should be with someone of equal status.

Technically, Chet could change both rules once he became King, and he absolutely would change them, but that wouldn't do anything to help his own situation. Before he would become King, his parents would make him marry some woman so that he'd have a Queen by his side when he ruled and if he refused... Well, Chet's not sure he has the courage to do that, even though every part of him wants to.

He wants to refuse, he wants to argue, he wants to fight, he wants to have the freedom to choose who he loves.

He's absolutely terrified of the consequences that would come if he did that.

He knows his parents, they're not the open minded kind. If he refused, or voiced any kind of thought that implied he didn't want this arranged marriage, they would probably lock him in his room and not let him leave until he's been married with someone.

Any resistance would be futile.

It seemed a little ridiculous that he was the son of the man and woman who ruled the kingdom, they lived in a palace, if he wanted anything all he had to do was ask, and yet he was still unhappy.

He removed his jacket, glaring a little at the royal crest emblazoned on the pocket as he did so before pulling his watch out of his pocket, seven forty. He had five minutes. He turned his attention to his mirror and his reflection, dressed in that stupid shirt and those fancy trousers that matched his jacket, he knew his reflection but he barely felt like it represented him.

Who would he be if he had the freedom to choose?

Probably not Chet Chipman.

What would he wear, how differently would he style his hair, would his physical appearance change any too? Would he gain freckles or moles from being outside rather than sitting in court or in classes everyday?

What would it be like if he was simply born as a commoner?

Better, probably. The things he wanted would still be banned, but at least there wouldn't be as much pressure to follow the rules that were making it not allowed, no one would care if two commoners broke the rules, people would look down on them but they'd be too irrelevant for anyone to really care or make an effort to stop them from being together.

What if he could just run away and start a new life?

The real question there is... Would they come along too?