An informal friendship

Look, I wrote this back in August that's why it's shitty.
Also titles aren't my strong suit.

"Oh GOD this is so BORING!" Noah groaned loudly, sinking down into a plush chair in the corner of the room. There was no part of him whatsoever that wanted to be here. "I can't believe they forced me here!" He raged, "Ughhh everyone's so formal..."

His eyes darted around the room. Searching in desperation that there'd be something interesting for once! Anything interesting! Even one of these fancy, posh, formal people dropping something would do! Their reactions to seeming imperfect in front of other "important" people was always so funny to Noah.

However, nothing... He let out a loud, heavy sigh and sunk deeper into his chair, pulling up the hood on the black hoodie he'd somehow gotten away with wearing to this party. "If my parents are gonna force me to be here then they better not complain if I don't dress and act the way they want me to." Was his line of logic and it had actually been somewhat successful, he didn't have a single item of formalwear on him, instead he was fully in casual clothes. He took his phone and earbuds out of his pocket then after picking a playlist, shut his eyes.

It wasn't that long after when in the gap between songs after Killer Queen ended that Noah heard it, "I told you already! Get your feet off the seat! It's improper and unladylike!" Slowly he opened one eye and peered around, the next song in his playlist started up but he pressed the pause button, for once more interested in reality than whatever fantasy world he could create around the songs in his playlist.

"For God's sake you are a young lady! Stop acting like a childish little boy!" The shrill voice spoke again.

Both eyes were open now and he sat up, looking around for the owner of the voice and more importantly the target of the words. Finally his eyes set upon a woman standing in front of a couch, glaring down at whoever was on it. Noah decided to get closer, the need to know who this person is, extremely strong.

"Jeez Mom, maybe I don't see the point in acting like a 'young lady'? Maybe I don't want to be one? Ever consider that?"

"Well even if you don't act like one you could've at least dressed like one? For goodness sake, I left out that lovely dress and shoes for you but instead you choose to wear a t-shirt and shorts? And that hat! I've told you million's of times not to wear that hat! But what do you do? You wear that hat!" The woman continued nagging.

By now Noah was close enough to see everything that was going on. A girl (or maybe not, considering their disgusted reaction to being told they're a young lady), around the same age as him, was sitting on the couch. In contrast to everyone else around, but in amazing similarity to Noah, the girl(?) was wearing a plain white t-shirt with black sleeves, a pair of navy shorts with white socks and black converse boots, on top of her auburn hair sat a green beanie. Her red eyes stared defiantly up at her Mother. In her hands sat a game console.

Oh. My. God.

He knew it. The short, silver haired boy just knew it. This girl(?) and him were gonna be great friends. He just knew.

... Okay this whole making a friend thing was taking a lot longer than he thought it would.

Mainly because he hadn't even gotten a chance to talk to Julia (as he'd now discovered her name was) because her Mom wouldn't stop nagging at her and just go away! Noah felt like screaming. He didn't. Watching this girl(?) get screamed at by her Mom for so long served as a reminder of how mad his parents would be and how long of a lecture he'd get if he screamed.

Wait...

THAT'S IT! HIS PARENTS!

A quick glance around the room showed him the location of his father, he quickly ran over to him. "Hey Dad!" He waited until his father turned around before continuing, "There's some woman over here I think you should speak to!"

"...Are you actually being serious for once or is this just another of your jokes..?" Noah's Dad asked, looking down at him suspiciously.

Noah nodded, trying to keep a neutral expression on his face rather than the annoyance he was feeling due to his Dad's height he'd inherited none of- "I mean it! Look, right there!" He pointed in the direction of the woman.

If Noah were to be completely honest this was just a gamble, he was actually shocked when his Dad took a shocked intake of breath and muttered "That's, that's Miss Sareko.. A well respected business woman of her own company... How did you know-?" He shook his head, likely deciding not to even bother asking, and began to walk over to Miss Sareko.

"Miss Sareko! Is that you?"

"I keep telling you- Oh! Mr Schmidt! How good it is to see you!"

Noah grinned to himself as the two adults began to speak and they walked away, then ran over to where the girl(?) was still sitting. "Ah hey! Julia, right?" He asked, taking a seat next to her. Julia had already refocused on her game by Noah's arrival but she looked up when he spoke, she seemed to be dreading what she'd see until her eyes met the other.

"Holy crap. You're...- You're not like them..?" She seemed bewildered by this, looking him up and down for a moment, from his teal trainers with the white pulled up socks, to the navy shorts almost identical to hers, the black hoodie with the clearly hand sewed cat ears attached to the hood and the obviously homemade (but well made) star shaped hair clips in his curly silver hair. Then she stopped having just realised.

"Wait- How do you know my name?"

Noah laughed "I overheard your Mum saying it, well more like yelling it- Sheesh she would not shut up huh? And honestly I'm offended you even had to ask if I'm different from the others! Do I look like one of those formal idiots?" He turned his head and attempted to look indignant but failed and ended up smiling instead.

"Oh man, this is the first time I've ever met someone else at one of these parties who hates this kinda stuff as much as I do." Julia sighed happily.

"God tell me about it! It's always so stuffy and formal, and I hate formalities."

"Right?! Hey, what's your name anyway.?"

Noah blinked in surprise, "Oh crap did I not say?" Julia shook her head in confirmation. "Ah sorry 'bout that, I've never made any friends before, so I've never really had to introduce myself- Uh, I'm Noah."

"Ha, I get you. I've not made any friends before either, well until now that is."

"Huh... So what're you playing?"

Julia shrugged, "Oh just Minecraft, I've been trying to get better at survival mode because yeah, I suck at it."

The cloudlike haired boy looked over at his new friend in mock suspicion "Are we like the same person or something..?"

"Who knows Noah, if that's even your real name."

"I dunno Julia, if that's even your real name."

The pair looked at each other and again burst out laughing, "Oh god this is gonna be the best and possibly most chaotic friendship ever isn't it?" Julia laughed.

"You better believe it! Now show me your creeper slaying non-skills!"

The pair stayed together on the couch playing Minecraft and talking for the rest of the party. It was pretty clear, the two were going to have a great friendship, that may or may not irritate their parents to hell and back, but a great friendship nonetheless!