03| THE KINGDOM (Continuation).

Across the kingdom of Shiladhika, another kingdom stood, mighty and strong. The kingdom celebrated. From the horizon, the kingdom looked golden. Though the streets were of pale brass colour the sun made it gleam golden and the light reflected on the streets and dappled the sky too in a golden glow. The people of the strong standing kingdom had smiles on their faces as they celebrated their Queen, Maharani Sadhana, stepping into the final stages of her pregnancy.
. . . .

Apart from the entirely shining kingdom one that caught the eyes of everyone was the Royal Palace. Every inch showing sheer opulence and grandeur. Gold and silver studded tombs and pillars.

In the beautifully luxurious palace, Maharani Sadhana lay, yet crestfallen, not having her husband by her side when she needed him. Though she didn't see him as her husband but a friend, their relationship was what the people would look to as a marital relationship. She wanted her closest friend to be with her.

"Don't be sad, Sadhana. He'll be back as soon as the war is over. It's just a matter of days." A sharp voice cut through as Nandini walked in. Draped in bright yellows and studded with eye-catching ornaments, cedar eyes gleaming as she walks, the Rajkumari of Ashokdhar smiled.

"I hope so," Sadhana replies warily as she graces her hand on her swollen gut. Nandini smiles and plops down next to Sadhana. Nandini leaned back on the frame of the bed resting a hand on Sadhana's head.
. . . .

Overlooking the kingdom of his enemy, Vihaan stood with his hands behind his back. Mind running with strategies and his hand holding the hilt of his undrawn sword. His piercing eyes of teak gleamed in the sun.

"Vihaan," Rihit, the Senapati of Ashokdhar, called out to his lost friend. Vihaan snapped back into reality and launched a look at Rihit standing below. Rihit held a letter in his hands. Vihaan turned around again.

"Read it yourself and tell me," Vihaan spoke in a raspy voice as he went back to skimming the perimeter of his opponent kingdom. Rihit sighed at his king's foolishness and raced up to the cliff where Vihaan stood.

"Maharani Sadhana is in the final stage of her pregnancy." Rihit saw a speck of light in Vihaan's eyes. His mind seemed to be away from the war for a moment.

"Acharya Chitrabhanu has written to you to come back as soon as possible. He has also said that it isn't really necessary to wage this war." Rihit suggested trying to pull Vihaan back from the war but Vihaan glanced at Rihit, shutting him up.

"We'll go after winning this war."

"Think, Vihaan. Your wife needs you to be with her at this stage of pregnancy and you are really out here thinking of war?"

"I've said it once. We'll leave after."

"It seems like you don't even care. Like she's going to birth the heir to the throne of Ashokdhar and yet you aren't concerned."

"You know how much I care and you know how much I don't," Vihaan replied, a bit annoyed at Rihit and his helplessness. He looked around a final time and descended from the cliff into his camp.

Rihit stood there pondering over Vihaan's words and sighed. He was right. He did know what Sadhana meant to him. Inseparable from as before as they can remember. Going to the same Gurukul for Royalty. Growing up together and being with each other through the hard times is what made Vihaan and Sadhana's bond special. Though their marriage was for political reasons, the two still were the other's mates. Rihit being the witness to their every moment knew more than to make such a statement.

Vihaan lay down on his cot for a while thinking about winning the war while his mind kept pulling him to the scene of his wife being a mother holding onto a little life in her hands and cooing to it. He shot up instantly and hit his palm against his head.