34| TWO IS BETTER THAN ONE

The Dharini soldiers all fell to their knees. The kingdom was now a part of Ashokdhar. Aagneya was arrested. The army of Ashokdhar was in pits of happiness and joy. And amidst the blaring sound of the battlefield, stood Aradhya with her hand still unable to move.

Chavi held her mother in a feeble embrace. Rihit, Darsh and Abhik all stood taking in the sight of Aradhya who they had never seen before. In such a magnanimous and victorious form. Aradhya finally hugged Chavi back with a content smile on her face.

Aradhya pulled away and turned around. She strode with infuriated steps. She stood before Vihaan and blew a slap across his jaw. Vihaan didn't clap back nor did he oppose her doing.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Aradhya slapped him again, "Why would you choose me over your kingdom? Is this a joke to you?"

Vihaan meekly met her gaze, "The only joke to me was that I would let you die. How did you expect me to even choose Ashokdhar over you?"

"You did that seventeen years ago. How different would it have been now?"

"The difference would have been that if you died seventeen years ago I would've not cared, but if you died today...I would not be able to live with myself."

Before Aradhya could reply, the remaining outcast warriors held her up, praising her and along the way, the army of Ashokdhar also started thinking very highly of Aradhya. Now her post was even above Vihaan. She was brought through the streets of the kingdom where some expressed their gratefulness to her. There were some who were not impressed by her still.

As Aradhya took in the sight of the palace again...those crystal-studded pillars and gold-lined palace towers...all that she could not experience when she came for Chavi brought a very vague sense of happiness to her.

She was set down in the palace with people applauding and cheering at Aradhya and still, it didn't bring a lot of confidence or joy to Aradhya. It felt obligated now that she had saved the kingdom.

She saw Guru Chitrabhanu...old but very able, he stood on the podium with a very impressed and happy face. He still looked fit. He shot a glance at Vihaan as well.

And as it does every time...people remember wounds until new ones come. They went back to normal. Everything always does. The people went back to their old state of living after the death of Sadhana, Rajmata and Aradhya could swear her life that they will go back to their normal states again. Regardless of how much change it makes.

"Welcome back, Maharani Aradhya." Chitrabhanu stepped down from where he stood.

"Sorry, Acharya...I am not here to return. I am not coming back here again. I will be going back again." Aradhya defended herself. Vihaan hung his head. He hoped with every one of his senses that Aradhya would return.

"Well, before you take that decision, Maharani...please, may I have a word with you. In private." Acharya raised his brow at her with a still calm expression.

.   .   .   .

"No, Acharya. Nothing can convince me to return." Aradhya rubbed her temple with her other hand resting on her hip.

"Why not? What is the problem?" Chitrabhanu asked?

"The problem is that I have been falsely accused of murder. I have been thrown out of this kingdom. Now just because Vihaan has finally cleared my name doesn't mean that I can return."

"That is the thing, Maharani, you can return."

"I don't want to return. I don't want to abandon the outcasts, I don't want to leave the life which I built for myself. I don't want to feel how I felt for Vihaan again."