26| EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

The outcasts waited for Aradhya and Gaurang to return from a market that was on the outskirts of Ashokdhar.

They saw Aradhya come back holding the baby in her hands and Gaurang carrying a big basket of goods. He set it down and everyone huddled closer. Aradhya had to sit down to not stress her wound. Gaurang handed out the materials to the farmers and the doctors.

"There is a clearing in the woods. You all can make your farmstead there. There is a freshwater waterfall there. You can use it for water supply," Gaurang addressed the farmers and turned to the doctors. He handed them a singed scroll of sheet wherein the retailer agreed to take in their medicines.

As all the men walked away the women looked at Aradhya with hopeful eyes. Aradhya sighed and stood up after great effort.

"What were you all doing before?"

One replied, "Some of us were housewives and some use to work at the farms. And some of us are just children."

Aradhya smiled, "Farmers can accompany the men. But you can join us if you want to. And as for the housewives... let's put you to work."

.   .   .   .

Almost a week later, Aradhya and Gaurang stood at a stall at the local market in the outer city of Ashokdhar. The market was closing. Aradhya looked at the first pay of the outcasts in her hand. It was more than she expected. The outcasts had taken to their best abilities to work hard.

"You seem like you are ecstatic," Gaurang stated as a matter of fact. Aradhya rolled her eyes at him and handed him the bag of silver and gold. Gaurang had packed up the remaining handicrafts and the crops. He took the money and smiled at her with the warmest smile he could.

"I am. This is our first earning. We need to buy favours for them. And let's save about one-third of the money to invest in the swords for the young ones." Aradhya spoke as she looked out for any remaining things.

Her eyes fell on a crimson coloured shawl and her words stopped. It was the same one she had when she was abandoned by Vihaan. It was the same shawl Vihaan had told her to put on before going for a walk that night. Aradhya dropped her head as her emotions took over again.

Gaurang put a hand on her shoulder. He gave it a little squeeze. He then took the shawl and strung it around her.

"Don't worry, Aradhya. You can be all in love with the person who meant the world to you. I've had experiences where you need not be with the person you love to love them."

"Yes...but he is making me weak. He...he left me feeling like he never loved me. I shouldn't get this into my head. I have a whole bunch of people leaning on me. I cannot show this side of mine to others."

Aradhya sighed and picked up the baby from a platform.

"Are you going to name her any time soon?" Gaurang asked as they started walking back. Aradhya wondered for a while. She looked at Gaurang and then again looked at the baby.

"She looks like Vihaan's reflection. She has the same eyes. You name it based on this." Aradhya handed the giggling baby to him. Gaurang smiled at her.

"Chavi."

.   .   .   . 

~1 year later~

It was the time of the yearly court in Ashokdhar. Every representative of every city of Ashokdhar had to attend. Vihaan was still overly cold-hearted. Nandini took a seat in the seat below him. Rihit sternly stood by his side.

The session was coming to an end. Around two cities were remaining to be examined. Guru Chitrabhanu sat there reading the reports.

"Your city...your local market has been in quite the profit in this last year. And economic gains have skyrocketed. The medication retailing has also been given positive reviews. Why?"