15| THE PROPOSAL.

The whole palace had gone into chaos. Soldiers and guards were running, hastily around, instructing everyone to keep in. Vihaan and Rihit were startled at the news of a dozen assassins slipping into the palace. Almost immediately, the two ran, grasping their swords.

"You look in the north and eastern palace, I'll check the others," Rihit said and scampered away after earning a nod from Vihaan. Vihaan fled to his teacher's room and knocked.

"Acharya, are you fine in there?" He yelled.

"I'm fine Vihaan. I've locked the doors from within and don't worry about me. I think I'm able to protect myself." He said. Vihaan sighed in relief and jogged away. He was afraid now, more about his mother being okay than anyone else. He did see the passage that lead to Aradhya's room and ignored it thinking that Aradhya was very much capable of beating any assassin.

He barged into Rajmata's room and found her calmly looking over the matters of the kingdom and a bit startled by Vihaan's abrupt entrance. Vihaan nodded to her and she nodded reassuringly as Vihaan walked hastily around the room, looking at every nook to make sure his mother was safe. Not a single body came into his sight.

Rajmata smiled at him and returned to her work. "Make sure you lock the doors from the other side." She said while Vihaan sighed. An ugly fear in his mind showed on his face. His father's death flashed before his eyes but he paid no to mind any of his emotions. He couldn't get too weak.

He walked out of the room and almost instantly, he was kicked down by a strong blow. He looked up at the masked killer who even through his mask seemed to be sneering at him. Vihaan rose to his feet. The assassin raised his sword and thrust it forward at Vihaan. Barely managing to get out of the way, Vihaan jabbed the man in the gut. He coiled in pain and a grunt left his lips. Even before he could revive from the blow Vihaan jabbed his elbow at his arm which cracked with a sickening crunch. The wail of the assassin resounded through the passage. With pain weakening his arm the killer dropped his sword. But the next second, his wails stopped. Put to halt by Vihaan's rapier, through his gut. He fell with blood pooling around him. Yet a smirk plastered itself onto the killer's face.

"Go save your wife, Maharaj." He said as he gasped for air. Vihaan headed towards Sadhana's room, not letting the killer's words get him. As he reached her room he saw Rihit standing there with Nandini and Sadhana shielded by his form. On looking at Vihaan the three tangled their brows.

"What are you doing here. You should be on the other side of the palace." Rihit blabbered, still not letting his guard down. Vihaan pondered on the words of the dying assassin.

"That killer said that I should go save my wife," Vihaan mumbled.

"Sadhana isn't your only wife, you idiot." Nandini scowled at him. Vihaan grew worried. He turned on his feet and ran as fast as he could to reach the far end of the palace, partially cursing himself that he gave Aradhya such far of a room.

His nervousness multiplied by a hundred when he called out to Aradhya but the door still stood closed. He pushed it a little as the door went agape and Vihaan lowered his cutlass at the sight before him. Aradhya knelt to the ground, her hair, unkempt and a blade resting at her neck. The masked assassin grinned at Vihaan.

Vihaan rose his sword only to lower it as the blade pressed into Aradhya's skin, drawing a line of crimson blood as Aradhya winced.

"Look, let her go. I'm what you want right? I'm here. Just let her go." Vihaan said, making his best effort not to show his concern for Aradhya but it came through.

"Maharaj, it's too great of praise for us that you think we're here for you. As much as we wish it was true, we are here for her." The assassin said gesturing towards Aradhya. Vihaan took a step forth threateningly and yet again backed down as he saw Aradhya's blood trickle down her neck to her collar bone.