Recap

Book One's final chapter:

"Happy Birthday, Adrian!"

Ares and I smiled at each other before we shared a proud look at our baby sitting behind the table packed with gifts.

Our friends and family cheered in joy and the music was turned back on.

It was our baby's first birthday and we hosted a little party at my new home.

When Ares had spoken to his father about giving up the gang, he was disappointed and very mad. There was no way Ares could've abolished the gang. This was the mafia, he was in it for life. Each day, I prayed that my baby would grow up without the knowledge of his father's lifestyle and that he'd be safe wherever he went.

Even though Harold ignored Ares' request to give up the gang, he was later filled with joy when Ares told him he was going to be a grandfather. Gwendolyn and Harold were so excited and they welcomed me with open arms.

Ares really wanted to leave his violent lifestyle behind so he began to invest in real estate part time, and he became almost ten times richer.

I had called Genevieve and my boss some time after my return, explaining my story of what happened. My boss believed and understood and even offered to hire me again. I wanted to start working again but Ares believed I should be resting during my pregnancy. He even assured me that he could take care of me, but he wasn't my boyfriend or my husband.

He had no say in my life.

I still loved him even though he treated me terribly. I couldn't forgive him even though I knew he was just incapable of loving me right. He had hurt me so bad and I still hadn't healed from it fully. My heart was still torn which is why I hadn't dated since I broke up with Carter.

The funny thing about it is, I no longer loved Carter—the man who treated me like a queen. I still loved Ares—the man who treated me like shit. Ha, something was definitely wrong with me. Or was it...Stockholm syndrome?

I never invited Carter to the birthday party. Yes, he was an amazing man to me, but he cheated and that was something I'd never forget or forgive.

Everyone, including me, thought it'd be a bad idea to invite my cheating ex even though he seemed relatively happy for me. He even bought my son a gift which I was uncertain if I should accept it or not. When Carter delivered the gift to my home, Ares saw him and was confused. I had to explain to him that Carter was my boyfriend and then he understood why I didn't want to have the threesome with him.

Our baby boy, Adrian had my brown hair and his father's green eyes. He was the definition of handsome and I couldn't thank God enough for him.

I would be starting college in two months. It was always my dream to become a lawyer. Nothing would hold me back now.

The Jack Hedgeburg's case was closed a month after they had interrogated me as they could not find any leads at all. Detective Rowe suspected I may have killed Jack myself but she didn't have any evidence to arrest me.

°°°

"I'm so happy for you, bestie." Maria cried, hugging me tightly.

"Thank you, girl." I replied as we continued to embrace.

"You deserve your happy ending. I wish mine will be as good as yours." She cooed as she released me.

Even though, I was a single mother, I believed my story had a happy ending. I had life. I had family and friends, and I had Adrian whom his father and I loved dearly.

Her bright, brown eyes sparkled with tears of joy.

"You deserve a happy ending, too. I'm sure Gabe will propose to you when he's ready. You know how much he loves you."