Chapter Nine - A chance at love

I could not hide from the truth anymore. Ares was all I could think about for the past few days. I was deeply in love with him and it was undeniable. I thought about being with him several times, but Josh always pops into my mind.

I did not want to cheat on him but I loved Ares with all my heart. I was not in love with Josh, but I liked him a lot. I was attracted to him. I found it difficult to give up a good man like Josh. There are just a small number of men who are just as perfect as him. Ares was nowhere near perfect. He had many flaws, but, still, he managed to sweep his way into my heart. I could not let both of them go, so, I decided to have them both.

It will kill me to cheat on Josh, but I needed him in my life too.

*********************************************************************************************

It was Friday. The sky was perfectly blue and the sun was scorching hot. I had called Ares earlier that day and we agreed on meeting at his beach house. It was located about half an hour from me so I took a cab there.

Upon arriving at the house, he was already waiting for me with a broad smile on his face.

"Hi, baby," He greeted, pulling me in for a hug.

"Hey," I beamed.

He released me and placed a quick kiss on my cheek. He then led me towards the house as he threw his arm around my neck casually.

It almost felt as if we were best friends and I liked it.

He brought me to a spot on the beach where he had already laid out a large,blue towel on the sand. There was also a picnic basket filled with different foods and fruits and a bottle of red wine.

I smiled sweetly at him, "You did this all for me?"

He chuckled, "Why not?"

This was really sweet of him. My heart fell in awe and appreciation. He really had changed.

"Is this a date?" I questioned as I sat.

He nodded, "Yeah, our first date."

It was perfect. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, we were at the beach and he brought all my favorite foods.

"I love it,"

He grinned and said, "But we haven't even started,"

"I know but everything is perfect,"

"I'm glad you like it,"

"So...I was thinking," I began, as I pushed a slice of barbecue pizza into my mouth.

"Yeah?"

"I want to give this a shot," I completed.

He smirked mischievously, "Give what a shot?"

I rolled my eyes playfully, "You and I. I want us to be together. Officially."

His eyes lit up in glee but I could tell he was trying to control his happiness as he tried to bite back a grin, "Are you sure?"

I nodded, "I've been thinking about it a lot. I love you Ares. I always have and I want to be with you,"

"So, what about Josh?"

I sighed as I looked away at the distant ocean, "I still like him,"

"You're going to cheat on him?" He inquired and I noticed his voice dropped a little.

Another sigh left my lips as I turned to look at him, "I can't break his heart. He is a good man,"

"Won't it break his heart even more when he finds out you've been cheating on him?" He blurted.

"Ares, why would you say that? He will not find out."

"Okay. If you believe so," He said, "Thank you for giving me a chance though. You have no idea how much this means to me,"

I giggled, "I have a pretty good idea,"

We leaned in towards each other and shared a passionate kiss.

Our date went smoothly. Ares was fun, jovial and surprisingly romantic. This side of him drew me even closer to him and I could not wait to explore his other sides. This man was full of surprises.

As I enjoyed our first date, I couldn't help but think of what Ares had said. I never thought about Josh finding out about Ares and I. It never came to mind. How selfish of me!

Josh could never find out. He would be so heartbroken. He did not deserve this but I wanted to take the risk. Ares had been trying to prove himself worthy of my love for three years and it was time I put him to the test. Besides, it was beginning to hurt not being with someone I loved.

My soul almost left my body when I suddenly heard a loud gunshot. My eyes popped open and my heart skipped a beat as fear seeped into my veins.

I quickly glanced at Ares just as he was pulling out a pistol from the waist of his jeans.

Oh no.

"Get down!" He yelled at me before he began to shoot at someone.

A startled scream left my lips as I got down on my stomach and covered my ears.

What the hell is happening?

Several shots were fired between Ares and the intruder until there was silence.

"Get inside now!" Ares commanded and I jumped onto my feet and ran towards the beach house.

As I ran, I glimpsed an unconscious man lying in a pool of blood a few feet away.

A frightened gasp left my lips as tears welled up in my eyes.

What the fuck just happened?!

My breaths were short and heavy as I tried to catch my breath. My chest heaved erratically and my mind was racing. I had so many questions. My body shook with shock and fear as I waited for Ares to come inside.

Several minutes passed that felt like hours. I was shaking and alone in my fear and thoughts.

Was he alright?

Eventually, he came inside with Ronny trailing behind him.

There were small spots of blood on his shirt which made me wonder whose blood it was. I quickly scanned his body but there were no wounds or scratches. How did he manage to get shot at but not hurt?

"We need to go now," Ares stated.

I ran to him and flung myself into his arms, "Are you okay? What happened out there?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. We'll talk about it some other time. We need to go now,"

His tone was cold and harsh which frightened me a little bit. That, and the sudden events made me wonder if I made the right choice in giving him a second chance.