Chapter Ten - Facing Reality

I was beyond traumatized. It wasn't the first I've seen Ares kill someone, but you don't just get used to witnessing violence overnight. The deafening explosion of the gunshots and the terrifying images of the dead bodies were beginning to replay in my mind. I was starting to think I had post-traumatic stress disorder.

I contemplated deeply on being with Ares. I would never be safe. Our son would never be safe. He was still the leader of the mafia and there will always be dangerous men after him. Could I live with that?

I avoided him for three days. He called and texted everyday but I ignored him. I needed time to think. Three days ago, I was certain I wanted to be with him, despite already having a boyfriend, but the violent events of our first date had me thinking twice.

***************************************************************************************************

Josh was away in San Francisco on a business trip and was expected to return in two days. I missed him greatly and I wished he was here to help me take my mind off of Ares.

As I was walking past Adrian's room, I peeped inside to check on him. I smiled at his peacefully sleeping form. He was really my greatest blessing.

Entering the living room, I grabbed the remote to turn Netflix on when the doorbell rung.

With a lazy sigh, I dragged myself to the door.

Upon opening the door, I was attacked by a harsh, longing kiss on my lips. I didn't manage to get a look at the person but I knew it was Ares. Only he ever kissed me the way he always does. He snaked his arms around my waist as he pushed me further inside without breaking the kiss. Using his foot, he slammed the door shut and led me further into the living room.

I hadn't realized how much I missed him until that moment. My eyes fluttered closed as I basked into this heated kiss.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" He growled against my lips.

I pulled away and breathlessly answered, "You know why. I am not safe with you."

He rolled his eyes and huffed in frustration, "Why do you always have to make this seem so difficult?"

"Because it is!"

"No, it's not. I can protect you. I would never let anyone hurt you," He cooed.

"See, that's the thing, Ares. You won't always know if someone is trying to hurt me. You won't always be there. It's just not possible,"

"Stop thinking about that, Kathrina. Focus on me. Focus on what we have and how far we've come. Think about Adrian. I need to be there for him always. I don't want him to have a broken family."

"Don't bring Adrian into this. Ares, he's almost three years old. He is too young for his life to be put on the line. He hasn't seen the world yet." I cried.

Ares sighed in defeat as his shoulders drooped, "I do understand your perspective, Kat, but I cannot be without you anymore. You are the best thing that ever happened in my life. I've never met a woman as beautiful, smart, sexy and ambitious as you. Don't you see how good you are for me? You make me want to change. You've made me more sensitive and loving. I was this evil, nonchalant beast and now all I want is just my beauty by my side."

His eyes were true and sincere and filled with hope and love. My eyes were wet and raining and my heart was pounding erratically in my chest. I knew he meant every word. I trusted him with all my heart.

His confession made me realize how much I've put him through. He always tried so hard to keep me in his life and I've always pushed him away. Still, he never gave up and he kept pushing and pushing. He remained persistent and respectful. I didn't deserve him.

"I'm sorry for being so hard on you," I whispered through my tears.

He smiled sadly, "I've been through worst. Now bring your ass to me,"

I giggled and threw myself into his arms. As we kissed, all my worries floated away and somehow, I knew everything was going to be alright. He was my love and my protector.

"Kathrina?" Another masculine voice called and my body froze.

My heart began to race and my eyes widened in shock.

Oh shit.

I gently pushed Ares away and Josh came into my view. He was dressed in a grey suit with a small, black suitcase in his hand.

I swallowed nervously, "Josh, you're back."

"Yeah." He simply responded, his gaze shifting from Ares to me.

I glanced nervously at Ares, who was calm and cool as a cucumber. I then looked back at Josh who was still standing there with no emotion on his face.

"Josh, I am so sorry," I began to cry.

"So, how long has this been going on?" He inquired, his voice void and cold.

"Um, not...not for too long. Just a few days." I stuttered as tears streamed down my face.

"Did you plan on telling me?" He questioned before buttoning his lips.

Why was he so calm? It was killing me that I didn't know how he truly felt. His face showed no emotion. It barely even moved. I was beginning to wonder if he had gotten a botox.

"No," I answered truthfully as my head lowered in shame.

I didn't bother to lie. He already caught us in the act and it would make no sense to add more gasoline to the fire.

"So you have been mindlessly fucking your ex-boyfriend and I at the same time and you didn't even think of telling me?" He stated, his voice remaining at the same level.

"I'm sorry," I cried.

"No, you're not. You are only sorry that I caught you," He responded.

He released a deep breath and took his jacket off. "Anyway, I am glad I found out. At least I didn't waste several years with you."

I stared at him through my flowing tears. He must have been hurt or upset but his facial expression never changed. It was so hard to read him. I glanced at Ares again who was nonchalantly scrolling through his phone. He didn't even care that I was currently breaking Josh's heart.

"Josh..." I trailed off sadly as I fiddled with my fingers.

"What? Are you hungry?" He responded and I looked at him in confusion.

"Aren't you mad?"

"Of course I'm mad but what good does it do for me to take it out on you or that asshole?" He said.

Surprisingly, Ares ignored him and continued to scroll through his phone.

"I am going out. Make sure you are out of here before I get back," Josh stated before clenching his jaw.

As he turned to walk out, he stopped and stared murderously at Ares. Ares stuffed his phone inside his pockets and stared right back at Josh.

"You got something you wanna say, homeboy?" Ares teased.

Josh clenched his teeth even tighter and then suddenly swung his fist into Ares' jaw. My mouth dropped open in shock as my heart skipped an anxious beat.

Oh, fuck.

To my surprise, Ares didn't even flinch. His face didn't even turn. Didn't he feel that?

"Are you feeling better now?" Ares chuckled.

This seemed to infuriate Josh even more and he growled before he stomped out and slammed the door behind him.

At the banging sound of the door, my heart fell in pity and sadness. I knew for sure I had broken Josh's heart. He was just a pro at hiding it. In all my life, I'd never felt so guilty and ashamed.

Not only had I broken his heart but I had probably even broken him.