Chapter Twelve - Together Forever

Ares rushed to untie me but I was still panicking and in shock. 

I looked into his eyes as he said calmly, "Take this. You need to defend yourself too,"

I looked down at his hand and my eyes widened in fear. He was handing me a pistol. "No, Ares. I can't take this. I can't shoot anybody,"

"Kat, calm down. Stop panicking and just read the room. If you do not defend yourself tonight, you might die. There is only three of us and at least twenty men on the outside. Think about Adrian. You have to do this."

I stared into his green, hypnotizing eyes as I tried to take slow breaths. He was right. I needed to defend myself. For me and for Adrian. I will not go down this way. I'd prefer to go to prison rather than dying and leaving my only child. 

So, I took the gun and nodded at him and said, "I'll do it."

As we busted through the door, shots were fired at us. I kept close to Ares and shot at anybody I saw. It kind of saddened me when I realized I was injuring or possibly killing other people, but I had to remember they were bad guys and they were the enemy. 

Dead bodies dropped like leaves as Ares, Ronny and I zoomed through the building firing shots at anything that moved. Never have I ever thought I'd be shooting people to save my life. If you had read my future and told me this, I probably would've laughed in your face. 

It all went by in a blur. Surprisingly, we made it outside without a scratch. We assumed everyone else died as no one chased us and it was very quiet. My hands on my knees, I desperately tried to catch my breath. 

"That was so close, man," Ronny chuckled. 

Ares glared at him and Ronny swallowed nervously. 

"You betrayed me, man?" Ares yelled in anger. 

"No!" Ronny answered, "But I had no choice. Harper found me and threatened to kill me and my family if I didn't join his gang,"

"Why didn't you say something?" Ares bellowed. 

"I didn't want to pull you into my problems. Listen, man. I didn't know he was planning to kill you. He had Kathrina kidnapped and he ordered me to keep an eye on her. I was so shocked when I saw her,"

Ares stared at him in uncertainty. He didn't know whether to believe him or not. But, something told me that Ronny was telling the truth. I just knew. 

The disturbing sounds of police sirens rung in the distance and we scampered towards Ares' truck. As soon as we were inside, he sped down the road in the opposite direction of where the police was coming from. 

Never have I ever thought I'd be running from the cops. 

Was this my life now? Was I now a part of the mafia? Would I be a target for bad guys now?

No matter how fearful I was, I didn't think of leaving Ares. I loved him and I needed him. I knew we were destined to be together. I'd do anything to be with him. Even if it meant, I'd have to kill bad guys for the rest of my life. 

****

We arrived home in an hour and I went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. Soon after, Ares joined me and our shower was as silent as a library. I didn't know what to say or where to even begin. 

"I know you are still shaken up about what happened today." He began with a sigh, "This is my life, Kat. This will always be my life until I die, unless Adrian takes over,"

My eyes popped open in shock, "Adrian?! I don't wish for Adrian to be a part of this life. He needs to be who he wants to be. This world...your world is too dangerous for him,"