Chapter 15 - Pizza

TW: Swearing

Darryl

As I sat on the curb waiting for Zak, I messed around with some rocks and stuff on the ground. I didn't know how I felt about Mother and Father being sent away. I was glad to be away from the hurt, but I still loved them.

"Darryl?"

A familiar voice interrupted my thoughts, and I looked up to see my sister.

"Oh my goodness!"

I ran up to her and hugged her tightly. Tears started to fill my eyes as I hugged her.

"I've missed you so much," I whispered.

"I have too." She said as she pulled away.

We sat down on the curb where I had been sitting before.

"I can't stay for too long because Phil is waiting."

"Phil?"

"Oh! He's who I'm staying with. He's really nice! He has lots of other fostered kids too! There's Tommy, Toby, Dave, and Wilbur."

"Are they nice?" I questioned.

"Yeah! They played with me all the time and sometimes they'll even play dress-up with me!
My personal favorite is Dave. I like to give him a crown, red cape, and braid his hair!"

I laughed. At least she had a good home.

"What about you?"

I sighed.

"It's not the best. I went with this lady named Cara and her son Noah; They basically hate me."

"I'm sorry."

She shook her head.

"At least you get to move out soon."

I messed with my hoodie strings.

"Yea, but I don't know where I'd go. I have no money or anything."

I thought for a second.

"Maybe Zak will let me stay with him for a while."

"Who's Zak?"

"He's my friend from school. He's really sweet, and I like him a lot."

She smiled.

"Well, that's good that you've made friends."

I glanced over to see Zak's iconic blue Jeep pull into the parking lot. We watched as Zak stepped out and walked over to us.

"Hey, Darryl! And.."

He trailed off as he looked at my sister.

"It's Lucy."

"Lucy?" I laughed.

"Yeah. Mother and Father never gave me a name, and Phil let me pick. I thought Lucy was pretty."

I just realized that. My whole life, I had just called her sister. She never had a real name to go by. 

"I think it fits you well!" Zak said as he sat down in front of us on the concrete. 

We chatted for a while before "Phil" came over.

"Come on, Lucy, we have to go pick up your brothers."