Chapter 19 - Birthday

TW: Swearing

Darryl

I woke up and yawned. I glanced next to me and noticed Zak wasn't there.

Where is he?

I went to Zak's closet and picked out some clothes. I know, I have my own clothes. But there was just something about Zaks that was so much better.

I put on his favorite hoodie (Which I loved to steal) and shorts. I then walked out of Zaks room and downstairs.

"Zak?" I yelled so that I could locate him.

When I got no answer, I started to worry. Where is he?

I heard a door open from behind me. I turned around to hope to see Zak, but I saw his Dad. He towered over me.

He blinked at me blankly before saying,

"Who the fuck are you? Where's my son?"

He was so much taller than me. I looked up at him.

"I don't know. I was looking for him." I muttered, stepping back a few steps from the man.

He then just kind of- Pushed past me and went to the kitchen. I peered in and noticed him grabbing some cans of who knows. I watched as he opened one and started drinking, then he walked past me and back to his room.

"As long as you don't bother me, I don't care if you're here." He then shut his door, and I heard the TV being turned up from his room.

I've only run into Zak's Dad like twice while I've been here. Sometimes he's aggressive towards me; other times, he's not. I shrugged and walked to Zaks front door and peered out the window. His car wasn't there. Did he leave to go to the grocery store? I told him I wanted to go with him next time. I shook my head before turning around and heading back up to Zaks's room. I grabbed my phone and texted a quick, "Hey, where r u?" Before switching tabs and scrolling through youtube.

There was a lot of Minecraft on my Youtube, and I loved watching it. I decided to settle on watching LDshadowlady. Although I didn't watch her too often, I loved to watch her videos whenever she posted. I propped the phone up with a pillow and laid down on Zaks bed. I then tuned out of my surroundings and watched the video.

Zak

I woke up early today before Darryl so I could go out and get him some things. It was a peaceful, sunny Friday. All the kids were in school, and adults at work, so the stores were pretty empty. I picked up a few things so that he'd have a good birthday. Instead of cake, I went to a local bakery and picked up some fresh muffins. Since they were his favorite food, I assumed he would like them better. I went a few more places and grabbed a few more things. You may be wondering, How do I have the money for this? Well, I really didn't. But I asked my Dad when he was half-sober for a bit of money. He gave me a twenty, and then I had my savings. It was enough to buy him the muffins, a few decorations, and his gift from me. Our friends were also helping out. They played hooky at school today so we could hang out with Darryl. They said they got him an amazing gift, but they didn't tell me what it was.

I arrived home around nine, and I hoped Darryl was still asleep. I stepped inside cautiously and set the stuff down on the kitchen counter. I then ran upstairs and peered into my room. He was awake. I slipped in slowly.

"Good Morning Darryl." I laughed, him jumping back with surprise. He was watching a Minecraft video, with made me giggle.

"Where were you? I was worried!" He said, pausing the video he was watching.