vii.

seven ── coming home

"𝖄ou are practically trembling." Alfie chuckled from the front seat of the car, looking over at Eden. The woman was trying not to chew on her nails, doing and undoing her watch clasp in the process. "Eden."

"I'm stressed." She whined back. "Luke's coming home today and I just want to make sure that everything's perfect for him."

"Eden, it will be. Stop worrying."

"I'm a perfectionist, it's what I do." Eden sighed, finally leaving her watch alone as she leant forward to check the time on the Satnav that Alfie was using. "Two minutes."

"Anyone would think it said two hours." Alfie laughed again, indicating as he pulled into a road off of the main street. The houses were quaint and reminded Eden slightly of her childhood home. She'd loved that house. "We're here."

"If I faint, catch me."

"You're going to do great." Alfie got out of the car, holding the door open for Eden. She stood up, smoothing her dress and blazer out as she turned to Alfie. "You look fine. Come on." 

He locked the car, before turning and leading Eden up the stairs until they reached the front porch of the house. Taking a deep breath, Eden reached up to ring the doorbell. It was quiet for a moment, before there was the sound of feet on the stairs, and the door was flung open by Luke's foster mom.

"Hi." Eden smiled, before turning. "This is Alfie. We're here to get Luke."

"He's almost ready." She smiled, before turning and clambering over some kids toys to call up the stairs. "Luke! Are you ready?"

"Yeah, yeah, I am."

"He's definitely not." Eden muttered, laughing. She knew that tone of voice. It meant that Luke was rushing to get everything ready as quickly as he could. They stepped into the house, closing the door behind them as they waited. 

"I'm so sorry about the mess." Eden turned, before shaking her head.

"Please, don't worry about it." She grinned, turning at the sound of footsteps on the stairs. Luke appeared into view, his face changing into a grin. He jumped the last two steps, throwing his arms around Eden, who squeezed him gently. "Hey kid."

"I'm almost ready, promise." He pulled away, before waving at Alfie. "Just got to get some final things."

"You need some help?"

"You sure? I thought you couldn't do things in heels."

"She can't drive in heels. Completely useless but I've seen her run in them." Alfie nodded his head. "She is truly bizarre."