xiii.

thirteen ── visits

𝕰den hummed as she finished cleaning the house, tucking the supplies back into the kitchen cupboard. Bradley was prancing around behind her, waiting eagerly for a treat, but Eden was procrastinating until Luke woke up so that he was able to do that instead.

The soft sounds of footsteps reached Eden's ears and she turned as Luke walked into the kitchen. He was bleary eyed, his hair a curly mess, and dressed in a large hoodie and pyjama bottoms.

"Morning," Eden fought a smile as Luke hummed, walking around the island and into a hug as he seemed to fall back asleep. "Someone's sleepy."

Luke muttered something intelligible that Eden couldn't catch as she ran her hands through his hair and tried to smooth it back down.

"Pat's coming round today for a check up." Eden muttered, placing a treat into Luke's hand so that he could feed Bradley. "She'll be here soon."

"Cool. Do I have to be here or can I go back to bed?"

"I think she's hoping to talk to you but if you want more sleep, go to bed."

"Fine, I'll stay up." Luke nodded, before walking off to the living room and diving over the back of the couch to go back to sleep. Eden rolled her eyes, stifling a giggle as she watched Luke miraculously fall back asleep in a matter of seconds. 

How he was able to do that, she never knew, but she was highly jealous of it. Sometimes she wished that she could fall back asleep as quickly as Luke did.

The doorbell rung, causing Luke to whine and hiss from the sofa as Eden continued to giggle as she walked towards the door. Throwing it open, she smiled at the elderly social worker on the other side of the door.

"Hi, Pat." The woman smiled. "Come in."

"Eden, so good to see you. Luke...?"

"He's trying to fall back asleep on the sofa." Eden grinned, hanging her coat up and leading her into the kitchen. "Let me just wake him up."

"Sure thing." Pat watched as Eden leant over the sofa, shaking Luke's shoulders gently.

"What...?"

"Pat's here. Come on, up." She gave his hair a quick ruffle as Luke rolled off of the sofa, landing with a thud, and pulling himself to his feet. "Nice nap."

"I had like two minutes extra sleep. Couldn't you have just left me?" Luke whined, watching as Eden shook her head. "Why not?"

"Pat wanted to see you."

"Hi Pat."

"Hi Luke. Did I wake you?"

"No." Luke sighed, reaching up to grab the cereal out and make himself some breakfast. "What is this meeting about?"