xx.

twenty ── christmas

"𝕿his one." Luke held up the envelope towards Eden, who was nodding. It was Christmas Eve, and Eden was teaching Luke one of her favourite traditions in her family, which was that you opened the most special gift that you had gotten for the other on Christmas Eve, so that you were able to enjoy it on Christmas Day. 

The woman curled further into the sofa, clutching onto her mug of hot coco as she watched her son open the envelope slowly, dressed in Christmas themed pyjamas with fluffy socks. Bradley was asleep by the fire, and Eden couldn't quite believe that this was truly real, and that Luke was truly her son.

"No way!" Luke was on his feet in an instant, staring between Eden and the tickets in his hands. "Tickets for the New York Rangers, are you serious?"

"Completely." Eden nodded, as Luke launched himself at her. She only had a moment to place her mug down, before catching the twelve year old.

"Thank you so much, ma! This is amazing!" He was laughing, looking at the tickets in awe as Eden ran her hand through his curls, kissing his head gently. "This is so cool!"

"I'm glad. It's in three weeks, so you can get one of your friends to come and I'll take you."

"Really?" Eden nodded, kissing his head as Luke grinned and began to think aloud of who he would bring. The woman giggled, before accepting the gift that Luke gave her. "This one's for you. Alfie helped me pick it out."

"So you two have been plotting and planning behind my back?"

"Yes." Luke nodded quickly, as Eden laughed and opened the gift. It was a framed photo of her and Luke on one of their dog walks, Bradley by their side. 

"Oh, Luke, this is beautiful. Thank you, baby. I love it!"

"Alfie took the photo and all that..." Luke blushed, as Eden kissed his head and placed the photo on the mantelpiece so that it could be clearly seen by everyone who entered the living room. "So, what happens tomorrow?"

"Well, we're going to go and see grandma and grandpa." Eden explained. "The rest of the family will be there, we'll eat a lot of food, open more presents, play a family game and then have a walk or something and eat more."

"So, a lot of food?"

"Absolutely!" Eden laughed, before noticing the time. "Alright, off to bed with you. It's half past eleven, and I need to finish decorating the cookies and the trifle for tomorrow."

"I'm going, I'm going." Luke chuckled, as Eden gave him a gentle shove out of the door. He began to laugh as she did, trying to run away from her as Eden laughed and gave chase. The pair careened through the house, before Luke jumped into his bed, still laughing.