xxiv.

twenty-four ── upmarket

"𝖄ou do truly look beautiful tonight, Eden." Hermes complimented, and Eden fought down a grin as he pulled her chair out for her. The god was smiling softly, as he settled opposite her, dressed in a nice suit and tie. "I was going to say it earlier, but I think Luke would have killed me."

"You're right, he definitely would have." Eden agreed, as Hermes sighed. Both of them knew that their son tolerated his father most of the time, but would glare whenever he stood next to Eden, despite the teenager having given the god permission to date his mother. In fact, when Luke had seen Hermes standing next to Eden at his ice hockey game, he had continuously snowplough stopped in front of the god, cackling all the while as Hermes had to continuously brush ice from his coat.

Eden had found it hilarious.

"Who's looking after him tonight?"

"Alfie is." Eden explained, having only said one thing to Alfie, before the man had dropped everything to agree to babysit so that Eden could go out on a date. In his words, Eden was so single it was painful, and Eden hadn't been able to argue that one very well. "He and Luke get along, so it's not too much of an issue for him."

"It's kind of him."

"It's really not. Alfie just thinks I need to get out more, so any chance for me to leave the house, he'll take." Eden shrugged, as Hermes began to chuckle. "Hopefully, they won't have wrecked the house by the time we get back, otherwise we're going to have an issue."

"I'm more worried for any personal property of mine that might have been left at the house." Hermes shook his head. "Luke's threatened to destroy my car one too many times for me to be happy about it."

"That's how he shows affection?"

"The question bit of that is really selling it, Eden."

"I tried." The woman shrugged, before looking down at the menu. "Anything you'd recommend?"

"I don't normally eat, so I'm not sure." Eden's eyes narrowed as she turned to look up at the god, who was reading through everything carefully. "What?"

"What do you mean? I've seen you eat at mine."

"That's different. I eat your cooking." Hermes shrugged. "Gods don't need to eat all that much and if we do, then it's ambrosia and nectar."

"Which is?"

"The food of the gods." Hermes replied. "They taste like whatever your favourite food and drink are."

"Really?" Eden's eyes went wide. "Can I try?"

"You'd incinerate. It's made for gods, or people with godly DNA, not humans."