xxix.

twenty-nine ── bruising

𝕰den ran her hand through her son's damp hair.

They'd managed to get him home, get him some food, and then Eden had forced the boy to take a hot shower. He'd felt a little better, but there was a look of guilt on his face that hadn't left him, and Eden had allowed the boy to sleep in her bed tonight, needing to know that he was close and alright, and also knowing that he needed it.

He was fast asleep, snoring softly, and had been ever since his head hit the pillow. Eden sighed, taking a deep breath, as she heard the door open. Sitting up, her eyes narrowed, before finding Hermes walking into the room as quietly as he could.

"Hey." He hummed in response, shooting her a grin before pulling his shirt over his head. Eden caught sight of him wincing and grimaced. She didn't like seeing either of her boys in pain. "How was it?"

"Same as usual." Hermes sighed, before turning to face her with a rye smile. "I turned up, got shouted around, we had a huge argument, nothing I said mattered, I left, my father is still pissed. I won't go home for a while. It's been ever thus"

Eden got out of bed, tucking the covers around Luke, before carefully pressing her hand to Hermes' back as the god winced once more, his face twisting into a pained expression. She made a face, rubbing her hand up and down his back.

"Did he hurt you?"

"No. Zeus knows better than to annoy the Parthenon, which he would by harming me. If he annoys one of us, then he annoys our close allies, and if it comes to a vote, that wouldn't be good." Hermes shook his head. "No, I just haven't needed to use my godly powers for a very long time. Not in that capacity at least."

"You didn't stretch." Eden teased quietly, as Hermes chuckled and shook his head. Eden continued to rub her hand up and down his back, before pulling away and tilting his head towards her. In the minimal light that the moon provided, Eden was quick to check over the god's face for any form of bruising or injuries. 

"I'm alright." Hermes promised, catching her hand and pressing a soft kiss to her fingers, that were still trembling after everything that had happened. "I'm alright."

"I'm just worrying for both of you. Luke's shaken up and I wanted to make sure that you weren't injured. I-" 

"It takes more than a cyclops to injure me." Hermes shook his head. "I do think that both you and Luke do need to remember that I am an immortal god, and I am able to fight, quite well in fact."

"Don't remind me." Eden muttered, pulling her hand away.

"About what? That I like to fight and am good at it?"