xxi.

twenty-one ── coffee dates

"𝕳i." Hermes sounded nervous as he stared up at the woman, eyes wide. Eden wondered whether he had thought she might not show up, and for a moment, she had considered not going at all, but had decided to muster her courage and meet with Hermes.

He had sent her a text after Christmas was over, asking her to come and meet up for coffee so that the pair could talk about what had happened on Christmas Eve. For Eden, all she could say was that it was a momentary lapse of judgement on her behalf, where she acted on impulsive thoughts that she shouldn't have. At least, that's what she had been telling herself for the past few days.

"Hey."

"I got you coffee." Hermes offered, as Eden set her coat on the back of the chair opposite him, nodding gently. 

The invite for coffee had come at a good time, because Eden needed to be in the city anyway to do some last minute planning for the gala that was in the next few days. This would kill two birds with one stone, and hopefully clear the air between them, as it had been rather awkward lately.

"How was Christmas? Did Luke enjoy it?" Hermes questioned, which only further deepened the guilt that had settled in Eden's stomach as she thought of her son, who would not react well to the news that she had kissed Hermes if she was to ever tell him.

"Yeah, he had a lot of fun." Eden nodded. "The boys and him went sledding, and skating, and he loved eating all the food. My mom and dad went a little overboard considering how many people were there."

"Did he enjoy the presents?" 

"He does like them, he's just reluctant to admit that he does, which is pretty typical for Luke." Hermes chuckled at that, shaking his head. "It's progress."

"I'll take it, even if he'll never admit that he likes them to me." Eden hummed in agreement, as the pair settled into silence once more, both struggling to talk with the kiss still hanging in the air over their heads. "And you?"

"What?"

"Did you like your gift?" 

"I-" Eden stammered for a moment, trying to think of what to say. "Yeah, I did. It was thoughtful."

"That almost sounds like another compliment. I thought I only got one a year." Hermes joked, as Eden chuckled, before they went silent once more as the awkwardness surrounded them further.

Eden stirred her coffee, before Hermes cleared his throat.

"We should talk about it."

"I know." Eden conceded, before both of them waited to see what the other had to say. Eden looked up, staring at Hermes, who sighed and nodded.

"I was a little surprised, if I'm honest. I was under the impression that you didn't like me all that much." Hermes' voice was soft, as Eden shook her head at the notion. "What? You do like me?"

"No, I don't know." Eden sighed, not knowing how to process her emotions. She hadn't even thought of romantic things for a long time, not since she went to university and that relationship had ended in disaster, so much so that Eden had stopped thinking of relationships. Now, this was happening. "I let my impulsive thoughts win?"

"You sound very sure about that." Hermes joked quietly, picking at his nails anxiously. "You can tell me the truth. I'm not going to get hurt by it."

"The truth? I don't even know what the truth is, Hermes." Eden replied. "You're my son's dad, one who he's on bad terms with, who I had to force into becoming a better parent and who I punched. You're a god, someone who's immortal and I was stupid enough to kiss you and I don't even know why."

Hermes said nothing for a minute, so Eden continued.

"I feel so guilty, because of Luke, because I don't even want to know what he'd think about all of this." She shook her head, not wanting to think of what her son would say about all of this, "and I know that you're a god who has a lot of children, and most likely sleeps around a lot, and I don't want to be some sort of challenge for you to beat. I don't want to be just another random girl that you sleep with and then move on from."

"I-You wouldn't." Hermes shook his head, before sighing and nodding. "But I agree, I don't want to do anything that would damage yours, or my own, relationship with Luke. He's my son, and I want to be able to reconnect with him without him resenting me for us. I've been going to therapy, and trying to work out how to be better, and if I were ever to pursue you romantically, it would only be if Luke gave it the okay. If he didn't want that, then I wouldn't."

It was a surprisingly mature take from the god, and Eden was in shock that he had even said it in the first place.

"You would pursue me romantically?" Eden stared at the god. "I thought that..."

"Just because I'm a god doesn't mean that I am incapable of having romantic feelings for someone." Hermes stared at her. "I won't lie and say that I do not like you, but I'm not going to act on anything because of Luke."

"So we agree, the kiss was a mistake?"

"It was a mistake." Hermes nodded, and despite Eden agreeing, one small part of her felt disappointed that he also thought it was a mistake. The god placed some money down onto the table, before standing up and pulling his coat on. "My treat. I'll see you soon, Eden."

"Are you coming to the gala?"

"I'll see." Hermes replied, before leaning down and hugging her. Eden stared after the god's taller form, watching as he shook his coat a few times, before stepping outside and turning away from the shop. In a few moments, he was out of sight and Eden was only left with her coffee and her thoughts, wondering what she was going to do now.

☾☼☽

Hiya,

So kind of shorter chapter, but Hermes and Eden spoke and this is kind of sad and funny at the same time, I think. Anyway, fun times for everyone and then yeah, it's time for the gala chapter next which is gonna be fun.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx