Ruined Friendship - NR

Y/n's POV:

Today was the day that I was planning on telling Nat how I really felt. We've been best friends since I joined the Avengers just over a year ago. At times we were inseparable and there was no one else I would rather spend my time with.

I think I've liked her from the first day I met her. But I didn't truly realise until she got hurt on a mission. She wasn't even that badly hurt, but it made me realise that it wasn't just friendship that I felt for her. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

Somehow, I've managed to hide my feelings from the rest of the team. Not even Wanda knows. They've never had their suspicions which is good as I don't think I could cope with the constant comments, especially from Sam!

I'm making my way down the corridor and pause outside Nat's door. I take a couple of deep breaths before knocking. "Come in" I hear from the other side of the door. I slowly turn the door handle and walk into Nat's room. She's sat at her desk doing some work, but she spins around to see who has come in.

"Y/n/n, are you ok? You look nervous." She says before I can even get a word out. I shuffle a bit on my feet whilst playing with the rings on my fingers. I decide it's best to just pull of the bandaid and get it done. "Hey Nat, I need to talk with you, well, tell you something really." I say nervously trying to find any form on confidence, but failing miserably.

Nat just nods and lets me speak. "I like you Nat, and I mean as more than a friend. I've liked you for a while and I never told you because I didn't want to ruin our friendship because it means the world to me. But it was messing with my head so much and I just needed to tell you how I really feel." I rush it all out scared that if I pause, I wouldn't carry on.

There is complete silence and Nat just stares at me. I can see behind her eyes she is trying to process what I have just said. After what is only a couple of minutes, but felt like hours, Nat finally speaks up. "Uh Y/n, I-uh. I wish you didn't tell me. I love you as my best friend, but I can't be with you. I'm actually dating Bruce." Wow friendzoned and heart broken in one sentence. This is a feeling I've not felt before.

I just nod but she looks slightly angry and continues to talk. "You can't just say things like that Y/n, we're friends, how do we just go back to normal after you admit something like that?" I wasn't expecting her to react like that. I knew there was a high chance of rejection, but I didn't think she would be angry.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to ruin what we have." I mumble. "But you have Y/n. You can't take that back." She says running her hands through her hair. "Right ok. I'm sorry." Is all I can say before turning around quickly to leave the room, totally embarrassed. I was trying so hard not to cry.

Once I'm back in my room I can't take just sitting here, so I quickly change into some gym clothes and head out for a run. It's 6pm so if I leave now I can miss the team dinner and avoid any awkwardness. As I'm running down the stairs, I bump into Steve. "Y/n, there you are. Dinner is almost ready." He says before noticing my clothing.

"Thanks Steve, but I'm not particularly hungry. I'm going to head out for a run, I missed one this morning." I slowly start walking towards the door so he can't try and persuade me to stay, and he seems to get the hint. "I'll ask Wanda to set you some aside when you're back. Be careful out there, it's starting to get dark." Steve responds.

I love Steve, he's been like a big brother to me since I moved into the compound. He seems to be the only person who can really see how I'm feeling. Thankfully I think he saw that tonight and knew that it was best for me to just blow off some steam for a run. "Will do Cap." I say giving him a joking salute before turning out the front door.