4) Confrontations

Beast Boy walked silently in between the two groups that had formed. In front of him, Robin and Cyborg were discussing some new program for the Titan computer, and behind him, Starfire and Terra were discussing shoes.

Beast Boy rolled his eyes at how stereotypical the groups were being. He wished Raven was there, because then he'd have someone to walk with. Raven defied stereotypes, and Beast Boy liked that. Finally he dropped back to walk with the girls. He waited for a break in the conversation and turned to Starfire.

"Hey Star," he piped up. "Why didn't you ask Raven to join us?" Terra turned and gave him a grim expression.

"Raven does not like the mall of shopping," Starfire replied.

"I know," Beast Boy agreed. "But I still think she would have appreciated the offer."

"Oh," Starfire's face became distraught. "I shall apologize to her as soon as we get back." Beast Boy smiled, and continued to walk beside them silently.

"I'm worried about her," he said after a few moments. "She seems a little more removed than usual."

"She's Raven," Terra replied. "All she likes to do is sit in her room."

"She doesn't always sit in her room," Beast Boy glared at the blonde.

"Why do you care so much?" Terra spat out the accusation, flecks splattering on Beast Boy's face. He clenched his fists.

"She's my friend," he replied. "I'd be just as worried if it was Star, or Robin, or Cy, or you."

"You don't need to worry about her," Terra whined. "All Raven wants is to sit and rot in her room.

"Why are you being so mean to her?" Beast Boy didn't care that he was shouting now. "Ever since you've come back all you've done is say mean things to and about her. Why do you hate her so much Terra?"

"Because I don't see what's so special about her," the shouting between the two Titans was starting to attract a crowd. The three remaining Titans tried to usher the crowd away. "All I hear is Raven this, and Raven that. What is so special about her that you're so concerned about her Beast Boy? She says mean things to and about you too, yet you defend her. Why? All she is, is a loner who can do some magic."

"What is your problem?" Beast Boy yelled. "Raven is the most powerful member of our team, but more than that, she is literally and figuratively the strongest person you or I will ever know! She has faced and overcome challenges that would destroy the rest of us. You may call her a witch or a demon, but she is neither;  she is a fallen angel."

"I nearly beat her score," Terra replied smugly. "And I defeated Plasmus before she could. She's over-rated." Beast Boy wanted to grab Terra and shake some sense into her, but he resisted.

"Raven is a better person and hero than you could ever hope to be," he said without regret, his voice a little steadier. Terra's face turned a nasty shade of purple.

"How dare you say that?" she shrieked. "Has the witch cast a spell on you?" Beast Boy could feel his blood beginning to boil with anger.

He was reminded of his dream, and glared at her. His chest was heaving, his fists were clenched, and his body was coiled like any one of his animal forms preparing to attack.

"Never call her that!" he exclaimed. "Don't you ever call her that! Raven's been through more than you know Terra. She's faced Evil that no one else could. Raven deserves respect, and if you're not going to give her any, then you can leave right here, right now!"

The last few words hit Terra like a ton of bricks. She took a step back, and fake tears filled her insincere blue eyes. Some of Beast Boy's rage subsided when he saw how hurt she was. "A lot has happened since you left us." He said, his voice softer now.

"I didn't know," Terra claimed.

"Well keep it in mind before you say anything against Raven," and with this, he turned his back to her and walked back towards Titan Tower.

- Scene Break -

Raven stood motionless inside of her room. She hadn't moved a muscle, still holding the picture of herself and Beast Boy in her hands. Tears ran down her grey cheeks.

"Well, you did it Terra," she muttered bitterly. "You've taken everything away from me. You've defeated me. I'm sure that no one will even notice that I am gone." She became aware of someone knocking on her door. Her heart lifted slightly, and she dared to hope that it was Beast Boy.

"Raven?" the Titan's heart sank at the sound of Starfire's voice. "Might I speak with you?"

"Sure," Raven heard herself say. She heard her door open and close.

"I come with apologies," Starfire admitted.

"What for?" Raven kept her back to her team-mate.

"I did not invite you to journey to the mall of shopping with us," Starfire replied. "Beast Boy said you would have appreciated being asked, and for that I am sorry."

"Beast Boy said that?" Raven's heart lifted.

"Oh yes," Starfire gushed. "He is so very worried about you Raven!"

"He has Terra," Raven replied dully.

"They recently exchanged harsh words to each other," Starfire replied. "I have never seen Beast Boy so angry!"

"What were they arguing about?" Raven was curious.

"You," Starfire replied. Raven felt her body tense up. "Terra said mean things, and Beast Boy defended you. He told Terra that if she was not going to give you the respect that you deserve, she could leave."

"Beast Boy said that?" Raven was truly touched by her green teammate's protection of her.

"Yes," Starfire confirmed. "He also pointed out that you have been more removed than usual. Ever since Terra returned you have been different. Is there something bothering you?"

Raven sighed, "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me," Starfire countered. "Raven, you are my friend. Please tell me."

"Alright," Raven turned to face her. "Promise you won't tell anyone?"

"I promise," Starfire replied.

"All right, I lo – I like Beast Boy," Raven stopped herself from saying love.

"But Raven this is glorious news!" Starfire gushed.

"I'm not supposed to feel emotions Starfire," Raven countered dully.

"But this is an emotion to be embraced," Starfire countered. "Not feared."

"He has Terra," Raven replied.

"You should tell him how you feel," Starfire suggested.

"How can I?" Raven asked. "He'll laugh in my face. He doesn't like me."

"How do you know?" Starfire asked. "Have you asked him?"

"Well no," Raven admitted.

"You should tell him," Starfire encouraged. "You will feel better once you have removed it from your chest." Raven smiled slightly at Starfire's attempt at the expression.

"Promise you won't tell him?" Raven asked.

"I promise," said Starfire. "But you should." With this, she turned and left Raven's room. Raven looked down at the picture in her hands and felt a glimmer of hope. Maybe she would stick around for a little while longer.