12) Beast Boy Falls

(Chapter 11 from Beast Boy's point of view)

The pain of Terra's betrayal burned through Beast Boy's heart. He had trusted her. All of the Titans had. Except for Raven. Raven was the only one who had been wary of Terra.

Now she lay unconscious a few paces away from him because she had been right. Terra was a traitor. Beast Boy let out a frustrated bellow as he tried to sweep his way through the endless sea of Slade's minions.

It reminded him of the time Overload trashed the BestBuy closest to the Teen Titans Tower, and not in the best way. He watched helplessly as Terra advanced on his fallen team-mate. He had to stop her.

He wasn't going to let Raven suffer for his mistake. A blast of green energy blasted Terra away from Raven's unconscious form, and Beast Boy let out the breath that he had been holding.

He watched as Starfire launched herself onto Terra, pinning the geo-kinetic to the ground. Beast Boy felt a little bit more at ease. Starfire was not someone to be messed with. She was very capable of 'opening a large can of the butt-whoop' as she liked to term it.

"How could you do this Terra?" he heard her ask. The fury in the alien's voice cut through Beast Boy's heart like a knife. All of this was his fault. Terra had returned for him, she had teamed up with Slade to take down the other Titans when she thought that he was dead.

"I thought you were our friend." Tears blurred Beast Boy's vision. Blindly, he lashed out at the many robots surrounding him. He heard a crash, and the sounds of Starfire's star-bolts. Then nothing.

"You thought wrong," Terra replied. There was absolutely no emotion in her voice. Beast Boy shook a Slade-bot off of his head. He could see that Starfire was literally covered in Slade-bots, and unable to aide Raven in any way.

He turned at the sound of Cyborg's sonic cannon, and his heart sank to see the robotic Titan also surrounded by robots. Beast Boy looked frantically for Robin. Terra had sarcastically remarked that the Boy Wonder always had to be the hero, well now was his chance to prove it.

A blur of red and turquoise flashed in front of Beast Boy. He reflected bitterly that Robin always did have perfect timing. Always arriving just in time to save the day. A pang a jealousy shot through Beast Boy, and began to fight again with renewed vigor.

"You don't have to do this Terra," he heard Robin tell the traitor.

"Oh I think I do," was the response. Beast Boy heard a crash, and turned to see Robin jump nimbly down in front of Terra.

"You still have a choice Terra," although Beast Boy hated to admit it, Robin did have a better way with words than he did. "You don't have to fight for Slade. You don't have to be his apprentice."

"What if I want to be?" she challenged. "As you said, it's my choice. I'm not like you Robin. I'm not afraid of turning into Slade." There was a silence, and Beast Boy couldn't help but smirk as he imagined the look on Robin's face.

Terra had just stumbled onto the thing that kept Robin up at night pacing through the halls of Titan Tower. "That's the real reason you're so obsessed with locking him away." She had obviously realized that this was Robin's weakness, and she was preying upon it.

"You're afraid of people discovering just how similar the two of you are. You're afraid that one day the line that separates you from Slade will no longer be existent. You're afraid of yourself Robin. The potential that you have to be the very thing that you swore to destroy."

Beast Boy flinched. He knew how much these words would hurt Robin. Although he was jealous of the Boy Wonder, Robin was his friend, and he hated seeing his friends being hurt.