9) The Return

Robin sat at the computer in the Titan's main living room. His lips were pursed, his eyes hidden beneath his mask. His turquoise gloved fingers raced over the keys nimbly. He was updating the villain database.

He closed Plasmus' file and inevitably caught sight of a particular file. Slade's. The mouse hung over the file for a few moments before he finally opened it. There had been no recent activity. Since Raven had destroyed Trigon, Slade had seemingly disappeared.

"Where are you?" Robin slammed his fist down onto the table. He knew that his obsession with the super-villain was unhealthy, but he couldn't help himself.

Slade's mug shot stared at him with almost a mocking expression. He almost seemed to be saying, 'Now Robin, I really had expected more from you. After all, we are so very alike.'

Those words haunted Robin. He glared at the photo. "I'm nothing like you Slade."

"Robin," Starfire's voice startled him, "who are you talking to?"

"No one," Robin replied, quickly shutting the file. Starfire gazed at him intently, and he shifted uncomfortably under her gaze

 It didn't help that she was several inches taller than he was, and so it always seemed as though she was looking down at him.

"Is it Slade again?" Starfire was smarter than he gave her credit for.

Since she was not native to Earth, her mastery of the English language was poor, and this sometimes made her seem unintelligent.

Starfire seemed to have a way of looking at him that made him feel as though she was looking right through him.

He didn't answer her, but lowered his eyes to the floor. This action seemed to be all that Starfire needed.

She moved closer to him, and took him into one of her strong hugs. It always amazed Robin how strong she was.

The Titan certainly didn't look very strong, but Robin had learned a long time ago not to judge anything by its appearance.

The door opened and Cyborg came strolling in. It took only a second for him to notice his two team-mates holding each other.

He smirked. It was so obvious that they liked each other, but Robin was too afraid to admit it. Ironic that Robin was the leader of the Titans, yet he couldn't tell the woman he loved how he felt.

He would have thought that after the kiss they had shared in Tokyo that he it would get easier, but it didn't.

"Sorry, am I interrupting?" he smiled innocently. Robin turned to him, his face red. "Should I leave you alone with your girlfriend?"

"She's not my girlfriend!" Robin exclaimed. He immediately regretted his outburst, and turned to apologize to her.

To his surprise, she was not angry like she had been the last time this had happened. This time, she merely looked hurt. "Starfire, I..." He started, but didn't know what to say.

"It is alright friend Robin," she replied sadly. "You do not need to explain." She heaved a heavy, sad sigh, and floated past him towards the door.