Secret

In which Cassandra sneaks Horace away to a hidden corner to share a secretive kiss. Requested by  Maeve_Lynn

~~~

The hand came out of nowhere, grabbed his sleeve, and pulled him into the dark hallway. Before Horace could call out in surprise, however, another hand clasped over his mouth. A small but strong figure had been hidden away in the shadows, waiting to ambush him. When they lowered their hands, Horace sighed.

"You're mad," he whispered. But Cassandra - because of course, who else could it be? - merely smiled at him.

"Madly in love, perhaps." And she sealed her words with a kiss on his lips. It was short and sweet and simple and so, so inviting.

But Horace knew the rules.

"No chaperone. No together-time."

As Araluen's Crown-Princess, one of the many rules that Cassandra was subject to was one which stated she needed to be accompanied by a chaperone at all times. Throughout the years, it had been only loosely followed, though followed nonetheless. When they'd come back from their adventure in Nihon-Ja and had announced their engagement, however, the rules had grown stricter. Ever since, they were to be accompanied by a third party - everywhere and always.

Except, apparently, right here and now.

"What did you do?"

Cassandra looked innocently at him from under her eyelashes. Horace wasn't fooled for a second.

"What. Did. You. Do?"

This time, it was the princess who sighed.

"Don't worry, I just played the women's issue card. That left me with just enough time to supposedly run back to my room and... take care of things."

Not for the first time since they'd met, Horace realised that Cassandra knew exactly what she was doing. Now, she leaned against him, standing on her toes to reach his face.

"We have-" -kiss- "approximately 40 seconds" -kiss- "until Crowley will no longer be able to ignore his duties" -kiss- "and slowly will come looking for me."

Duty simply could not prevail.

"Oh, fine," he groaned, grabbing her by the waist and turning them around so that now Cassandra was the one pushed against the wall. Horace moved his right hand next to her face. His left was under her chin, lifting it, his thumb caressing her cheek. His body pressed against hers and he could feel every single one of her curves, as he knew she could his. Their mouths met, and parted, and met, and parted, and met, their tongues playing a cat-and-mouse-game that they would probably never grow tired of. Her hands moved up his back, beckoning him even closer. Their bodies melted into one, their hearts beating against each other.

Horace was out of breath by the time Cassandra pushed him away, and could hear that she was too.

"That was-" But she raised a finger and shook her head.

"That never happened."

Smoothing some wrinkles out of her dress, she winked at him.

"Though I wish it could've."
"Cassandra?"

The forty seconds had passed. Crowley was here. And indeed, barely a few seconds after the voice had first called out, Crowley's distinctive red hair walked into sight, accompanied by the Ranger Commandant himself.

"Cassandra! Are you-" When his eye caught sight of Horace, Crowley sighed.

"Are you okay?" he asked, though there was suddenly little concern present in his tone. Cassandra pouted.

"My women's issues, they-" She tried to breathe deeply a few times before continuing.

"I'm afraid I almost fainted."

Some more breathing in and out. The pout was replaced by a smile.

"Luckily, Sir Horace was there to lend a helping hand."

Horace couldn't see it perfectly, considering he was still stashed away in the dark corner. But he had a feeling that Crowley was rolling his eyes. When the Ranger Commandant spoke, the amusement was carefully hidden. But it was still there.

"Which I am sure was most... breathtakingly helpful."

Cassandra beamed.

"Indeed."

"But we mustn't have you fainting, Princess. Best get you some fresh air. And I'm sure Sir Horace also has some... other duties to attend to."

Crowley offered Cassandra an arm, which she took, and they left. Horace watched as they walked away, still trying to catch his own breath. Oh yeah. The Crown Princess knew what she was doing.