Peaceful

In which Will and Alyss just have a quiet, peaceful dinner with Halt and Pauline, because it's what they deserve. 

~~~

The bread was slightly stale, the stew cold, the coffee bitter. But it was nourishing and still relatively fresh, and a more than warm welcome home.

It had, after all, been a long day.

It had been purely coincidental that the four of them had arrived at the Castle at the same time, each returning from a different trip. And it had been an even bigger coincidence that they, still covered in sweat and dust, had run into Master Chubb. Realising that his two friends - Halt and Pauline - as well as their former mentees - Will and Alyss - had been travelling the whole day, there was no stopping the chef as he insisted on providing them dinner. Within minutes, some of his apprentices appeared with the leftovers of that night, preparing four seats in an otherwise empty dining hall.

All four of them had practically collapsed into their chairs.

No words were spoken, no thoughts were shared, and yet the silence was in no way suffocating. It was simply quiet. A bit cosy. Weirdly peaceful.

There was no adventure. No story. No one interrupted them, no one even saw them.

Except for the Baron and Baroness of the castle.

Arald and Sandra had been getting ready for their evening stroll as they caught sight of two of their Diplomats and two Rangers in the dining hall. Arald had already opened his mouth to greet them when his wife laid his hand on his arm and shook her head.

The four of them seemed to just be having a quiet, peaceful night. The Baron and Baroness smiled at each other as they continued walking, without disturbing them. It's what they deserved.