Marry me?

In which Gilan and Jenny share a short and sweet kiss after meeting up for a date (though a little differently because I wanted to). Requested  by @Maeve_Lynn. 

~~~

It had become something of a habit, sneaking away after food had been served. Jenny had rightfully remarked that at that point, barely anyone would miss her. And Gilan was more than happy to skip a meal if it meant spending more time with the woman he loved.

So here he stood, waiting for the cook to arrive. He had lowered the hood of his cloak to make sure she could see him as she approached. It wouldn't be the first time if he would accidentally scare her and be beaten by a ladle.

Though it didn't seem like she'd brought the weapon, Gilan thought, as the cook entered his periphery. With every step she took towards him, he could feel the smile on his face broadening. It was like the sun warmed his heart, never minding the cliches.

He smiled and bent over to kiss her cheek.

"Ready for our date?"

Though 'date' might be a bit excessive, for what was essentially a walk through the woods. But Jenny didn't seem to mind.

"You get half an hour of my time," she said. What she didn't say - but what the words hanging in the air between them made more than clear - was that the half an hour would be the happiest of her day. Perhaps even her week.

Their hands intertwined and they took off. The woods were empty, and quiet, and peaceful, at this time of day. Trees hugged each other, and yet several rays of sunshine managed to make their way through. Birds fluttered around them and filled the air with their wonderful melodies. Leaves crept under their feet and audibly paved the way. But nothing sounded as joyful as their voices, the Ranger's and the cook's, as they talked and talked and talked. And joked. And wished. And laughed.

When finally, way too soon, they arrived back at the edge of the woods, Gilan looked down at the woman he had grown to care so much about. The woman that made his day brighter just by popping up on his mind. The woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, whether by his side or not.

"Marry me?"

Jenny pursed her lips, as if sunken in thought. As if she didn't have a readily prepared answer laying on her tongue. As if she hadn't known that he would ask the question. As if he didn't ask the question every time they saw each other. Finally, she looked up to him, eyes bright and sparkling, a wonderful, beautiful, smile greeting him.

"No," she declined. Still, she kept holding his hands. And still, she kept smiling at him. It was a smile he could never get enough of. A smile he only wanted to see disappear for one thing.

"Kiss me?" He asked.

Jenny looked away temporarily, biting her lip, the smile never faltering. When she looked back and met his gaze again, Gilan could've sworn that she was shining brighter than the sun.

"Happily."