Chapter 23.

•Selena•

I knocked on the door.

No answer. I knocked agian. Still, no one greeted me. Good thing I know where the spare key is, I thought smartly. The dirt in the fern's pot beside the door was dry, felt like no one had watered it for weeks, it got stuck under my nails as I felt around for the little silver chunk of metal that would unlock the giant door before me.

"Where is the d- Found it!" The little key hadn't been touched in months, because why would people who live in the house need the spare key? Besides, someone was almost always home wether it be Carter or Justin. As I wiped the key and rid it of the caked dirt a thought occured to me. Why wasn't Justin answering the door?

He hasn't really left the house much to my knowledge and no reports have been made of people being seen at his house, and it's not that early in the morning. Why wasn't he opening the door? I pushed the little silver piece into the locked and turned until I heard the click.

After removing the key and tossing it back into the pot, I pushed the door open. Cool, homey smelling air wafted into my senses and I closed the door.

"Justin?" My voice echoed in the large living room, but I received no answer.

Okay, he isn't in the living room or any surrounding areas or he would have answered me. I walked to the kitchen hoping to find him scrambling some eggs or something, but nada. The counters were littered with take out bags, and containers from McDonald's to Taco Bell to Chinese boxes.

Anybody could tell that this kitchen hadn't been used properly in about a week. He wasn't on the lower level so I decided to ascend the stairs and see if he was upstairs, hiding away like a teenage girl. The take-out containers were replaced with clothing items as I made my way up to the bedroom. I knew Justin was a slob from our past relationship, but it never exceeded anything like this. This was just plain ridiculous. It was like he stripped off all clothing before he even reached his -now unshared- bedroom door!

Once I reached the door I had to pause and take a moment to prepare myself for what I could possibly see. I placed my hand on the silver door knob and twisted it slowly, taking a deep breath as I did so.

With my eyes tightly shut, I pushed the door open and when I peeked one eye open.....I wasn't really appalled at the interior decorating of the room. Well, as decorative as some socks hanging off the lamp shade can get.

I walked into the large bedroom and something moved on the bed. I looked over to see a ruffle of dark hair spread across a pillow. This hair was dark, and much too long be Justin's. Why didn't Cater tell me they got back together? But I could have sworn her hair wasn't that dark....

My attention and curiosity were ripped away from the sleeping body as the bathroom door swung open to reveal a half naked, dripping wet Justin. His eyes widened in shock as our gazes met. I could tell he definitely wasn't expecting to see me.

"Selena? What are you doing here?" He asked in a low whisper.

I shook my head. "I was checking up on you. I wanted to make sure you were doing okay!"

Justin brought his hands into the air as to signal someone to quiet down. "Be quiet!" this time, he whisper-shouted.

I didn't quiet my voice. "Why? I'm sure Carter wouldn't mind being woken by me."

Something in his mind must have clicked because he looked to the bed and averted his eyes away from mine. I knew this look. He gave me this look when he was in trouble, and tried to hide it. "That isn't Carter, is it?"

He looked at me. "I c-can explain."

I snapped.

"You can explain what exactly, Justin? That you cheated on Carter with some random girl? Oh go on about how you were drunk, and didn't know what you were doing. Please. I would love to hear it!" I crossed my arms over my chest. This was infuriating. Carter is my best friend and her Justin is wrecking everything that they have worked for. Everything they cared about. Their whole world.