Chapter 12.

WRITTEN BY @xSnowKiss.

:)

—Carter—

"Have a lovely night, sweetheart!" Beth calls after me. 

"You too!" I force myself to say back as I unlock the front door and step inside. I hear the engine start and Beth begins to pull out of the driveway. I don't bother watching her. Instead, I close the door behind me and stroll over to the couch, plopping down with a sigh. It's been such a long day. I just wanted to cuddle in bed with Justin and forget about today.

Startling me, the front door bursts open and Justin storms in, slamming the door shut behind him. I raise an eyebrow in his direction, wondering what could have possibly happened that upset him so much.

"Justin?" I sit up taller on the couch. "You ok?" 

Sighing, he comes and takes a seat beside me. "I don't want to talk about it."

"But-" I begin to protest but his lips shut me up. Clutching my cheek, Justin gives me a quick, but soft, chaste kiss, his lips lingering on mine.

"Let's just say I ran into someone from the past." Justin's thumb brushes against my cheek and he exhales. "It's nothing you should worry about though. It's over with."

I nod, not questioning him any further. "I missed you."

He chuckles. "I missed you too. How was dinner?" Now is my turn to sigh. I let him wrap his arm around me, allowing me to rest my head on his chest.

"I just want to forget about it." I mumble. "Beth just acts as if she knows everything. She thinks she can tell me what's best for me in my life as if she's known me her whole life. I barely even know this woman." Jusin caresses my hair, resting his chin on my head.

"You're right." He mutters. "You should just forget about it."

"Want to go upstairs?" I ask him softly. "I'm kinda tired." As if on cue, a yawn escapes me. Justin rises from the couch, taking my hand and pulling me with him.

"C'mon." He smiles, draping his arm around my shoulders. "Let's get some sleep."

- - - - - -

It's Justin's cellphone that wakes us up the following morning. I cuddle closer to him after he reaches for the phone, tiredly hitting answer and placing it over his ear.

"Y'ello?" 

I almost swore I recognized the distant voice on the other end, but I just couldn't place my finger on it. Instead of listening in, I focus on running my fingers over Justin's bare stomach. I feel him shiver as he talks, his arm tightening around me.

"Yeah, yeah." He speaks. "I can do that. Noon?" Justin glances at the clock. "I'll be there. G'bye, Scooter." Tossing his phone aside, Justin turns his head to loo at me. 

"Scooter?" I raise an eyebrow. "What did he want?"

"He thinks it's time I start working on another album. Apparently the fans feel as if I'm too caught up in my marriage to care about my music." He tells me with a sigh. "I need to be at the studio at noon. I don't want to leave you," His lips linger over my temple. "But maybe you can call Selena or Cale. Make plans, you know?"

Nodding, I sit up straighter. "I guess. I understand. Don't let me distract you from your career."

"You're not distracting me." Justin assures, but I can't help but think of what Beth said last night. Was Justin really distracting me from my future? We're married. He is my future. Besides, I've never thought of college before. 

Sliding off the bed, Justin saunters over to his dresser, shuffling through the drawers. I snatch my phone from the nightstand and decide to text Selena. The mall seemed like a good idea. It was a nice day out anyways, I realize when my eyes flicker over towards the bright window.

- If ur not busy, want to meet up at the mall? Justin's busy so I thought we could make plans. - 

Her reply comes within seconds.

- Sounds fun! Cale and I were talking about doing some shopping just yesterday. When do we meet up? -

"Noon." I text back, setting my phone aside and pushing myself of the bed.

"So?" Justin asks.

"Selena, Cale, and I are going to hang out at the mall." I inform him. "Maybe you can meet up with us afterwards."

"Hopefully." Justin sighs. "I'm not sure when I'll finish."

"Well," I walk over and wrap my arms around his waist. "Take all the time you need. I can't wait to hear whatever you come up with." Justin turns around, kissing my lips lightly.

"I love you."

"I love you too." I tell him, smiling. "Want me to go downstairs and make a quick breakfast?"

"Nah," Justin waves away my offer. "I'll just have cereal."

"I'll go get it ready then." I peck his lips once again before stepping away and heading out the door. I navigate my way downstairs and into the posh kitchen. I still haven't gotten over the size and beauty of this house. I would have been completely happy in a small, one-story house. Justin didn't have to buy this and outdo himself. I'm not complaining though. I love it and I love him.

I dig through the cabinets until I find the familiar box of Captain Crunch. Grabbing a white bowl, I fill it up with the cereal. Placing the box back in its place, I hurry to get the milk. As for myself, I settle on a simple banana and some orange juice. I wasn't that hungry and I'm sure the mall would have tons of food for when I was.

It doesn’t take long for Justin to come down.  He’s clad in a pair of jeans, white tee, and black Supras. We both take a seat at the dining table, enjoying out small breakfast.

“Any idea for a song?” I decide to ask him, wondering if he’s already conquering up a masterpiece in that cute head of his.

“Actually,” Justin smiles suspiciously. “I may have something.”

“Really?” I raise my eyebrow, taking a bite out of my banana.

Justin nods. “It’s something I’ve been thinking about all morning. I promise you’ll be the first to hear when it’s done.”

I smile, my eyes staring into his brown ones. “Can’t wait.” Justin finishes up his cereal and quickly washes his bowl, setting it aside to dry. I toss my banana peel away, finishing up my orange juice and hurrying to give Justin a final goodbye hug.

“Love you, babe.” He murmurs, kissing my head. “Stay safe, ok?”

“It’s just a mall, Justin.” I chuckle. “and I love you too.” I wrap my arms around him in a quick hug before he leaves. He places his lips against my forehead in a quick gesture before exiting the house. Sighing, I lean against the kitchen counter. Today will be another long day without him.