Chapter 9 Mad Hatter

Something in Ari had snapped when he realized Ivy was gone.
Ivy was his anchor, the one thing that kept him sane.
Without her his dragon fae had broken free.
He had been more than hurt she had left without saying goodbye.
This hurt hadn't stopped him from using all of his resources to find her.
Which he had.

When Ivy, Kit and Ember finally made it to the docks, Kit had known.
He ran at them so fast Ivy hadn't seen him coming.
Ari.
"The human girl in exchange for your vow of silence", Ember said.
Ari was the one that had been after them.
He had steeped pretty low in order to find out where Ivy was, along with getting her back.
He had threatened Ember by saying he'll report her hotel to his parents the queen and king if she hadn't given him Ivy back.
After a quick assessment over Ivy Ari said, "she's hurt. She was to be unharmed."
Ember had fallen to her knees, "please there are children in there! Children who need to be protected!"
"These children are not in schools?" Ari bit out, he was furious at Ember for keeping fae children out of school.
Ari's biggest fault was that he could sympathize with anyone who had less; he couldn't understand.
He would never understand the violent cruel world anyone not born into royalty would.
"The children are educated in the hotel because their parents, or other family members
are wanted."
Ari was angered because he hadn't understood,"You're hiding criminals! The law is hard but the guilty must face their trial."
Ivy was surprised at how callous Ari was acting, the law was more than hard, if you stole a slice of bread you were put in jail until your trial in which you were found guilty.
If you talked back to a guard you were put in jail awaiting your trial.
If you killed someone above your rank, for example if an animal fae killed a mythical fae in self-defence that person would be either killed on the spot, tortured or if they were lucky put in prison.
The law was more than hard, it was unfair.
Humans were killed for sport everyday, they were also put in prison for no reason.
The fact that Ari hadn't seen the inequity in the world he lived in proved how fortunate he really was.

As soon as they made it to the docks,
"what are you doing?" Zade had asked Nik as he pulled out his compass, the one Ivy had originally stolen from Nivens and the whole reason he had lost Ivy and Kit.
For that reason alone, he had grown to hate the thing in the last forty eight hours.
"It's a magically compass, it leads you to the thing you want most", Nik said even though he hadn't wanted to give any information away to Zade.
Nik had learned young that anyone and anything can be used against you and he had just revealed that he wanted Ivy more than anything.

"Ari?"
Ivy said hesitantly, he looked at her with a coldness in his eyes that turned into warmth so fast Ivy thought she had imagined it.
"It's over, take us, somewhere safe."
Ivy saw the battle in his eyes, he wanted to punish Ember for drugging Ivy and for giving refuge to criminals but in the end he hadn't.
He chose Ivy.
"Let's go," Ivy wanted to ask where but she trusted Ari and knew he would take care of her.
"I need your vow! Your vow that you won't tell a soul about The Rocky Hotel", Ember called out.
"If you don't want people to know you best remove the sign, love", said a familiar deep posh male voice.

Nik should have known his half bastard brother was the one who threatened Ember and her establishment.
He was always a little melodramatic.
"No one wants you here! leave!" Ari whined.
"You've made a mess of things, isn't it my job as your big brother to clean up your messes?", Nik had asked while looking at his brother.
"You've never been my brother", Ari mumbled.
"While, I would love to talk about family drama all day... I would much rather leave", Kit said.
"Don't lie Kit, there's nothing more you love than some good drama", Zade said.
"Well if it isn't a lost puppy from the pound", Kit said with her first Cheshire smile in a long time.
Zade had given a small grin in return.

"Enough! Ari needs to give me his word that he won't report back to mommy and daddy about my hotel! There are lives on the line!" Ember said in a powerful voice.
"No one will say anything about your hotel", Nik said smoothly to Ember.
Ari had been about to argue when Nik turned to him, "Ivy and Kit are now in my protection, once Ivy apologizes for taking my compass the  deal will be set."
Ari hadn't waited, he had tackled his brother, or at least tried to.
"A little barbaric even for you don't you think?" Nik said, which earned a snarl from Ari.
"You made a deal with her!" He yelled.
"No she made a deal with me", Nik said.
"YOU BASTARD!" Ari screamed!
"Actually, if we're being specific that's you", Nik said with a smile.
"I'll kill you", Ari yelled.
"No you won't because you can't and even if you could that would mean you'll have the smallest chance of being king."
Ari had stopped trying to push Nik's head into the ground and that split second of hesitation was enough time for Nik to fling him off him.
Ari was out of breath but Nik was completely at ease, it was clear Nik could have gotten Ari off him but instead chose to humour him.
"Give your word you won't tell a soul about the hotel. Than we can all leave and pretend this shitty day never happened."
Ari hadn't wanted to give his word, he vowed to never do anything to please his brother after what he had done to him.
Taking away his one reason to live, Ivy.
"Fuck you!"
Nik had squinted his eyes and than said very well.
He grabbed Ari and pulled him to himself, Ivy had thought he was going to hug his brother.
"Let go of me!" Ari screamed!
"Last chance, make the vow", Nik had waited a few seconds but when Ari hadn't replied he took matters into his own hands.
"You will repeat after me, I will never speak of The Rocky Hotel for as long as I shall live" Ari did not hesitate, "I will never speak of The Rocky Hotel for as long as I shall live."
"It's done", Nik said to Ember.
"Best leave before I decide to kill you for harming Ivy and Kit, intentional or not."
Ember was gone before Ivy's next breath.