Chapter 29 I Am Not Your Enemy

"It wasn't Ari's fault. None of it was."
Alice said in a quiet broken voice.
Nik's eyes found hers, they were a clear, cold grey, "it was me. Always me. Don't you see that?
I was the one that had to put you back together again.
I was the one that had to channel the darkest of magic to save you."
"Don't pretend to be the good guy!" Alice screamed.
Nik didn't raise his voice but he spoke unstructured, " I don't pretend to be anything I'm not.
You're the one that's doing that. It is easier to think of me as your enemy than your friend.
Let me tell you something", Nik said as he took a step closer to Alice, "I am not your enemy!
because I have done unspeakable things, to SAVE YOU.
I have done atrocious things in order to bring you back.
If anything you're my achilles' heel.
Since every time my brother would cry, he would beg me to save you.
But every time I got to you, you were already dead.
I did, though. I always found a way to bring you back but it was never easy.
There were times- there were times I didn't think I could.
When you were decapitated. I... I had to call on Morris Kelly to help me."
"That's why he was in the Harvest, you put Morris Kelly's in the Harvest."
Alice was right, Nik had needed Morris Kelly to die since he must of had a suspicion about how much Alice had meant to him.
In this world a suspicion was enough to get you killed.
But against his better judgement he had let the man live once he helped bring her back.
This years Harvest with Alice back Nik knew it was too risky for Morris to be alive.
Morris Kelly needed to die, since he wasn't above playing dirty to get what he wanted.
The dead couldn't talk and with Morris dead, Nik could sleep better.
"He's dead, isn't he?"
Alice was smart, she knew he survived the Harvest but she also knew that him being alive would be a problem to Nik.
"Yes."
Alice twitched, "you really are a monster."

Ari couldn't take the voices.
Which was surprising since he had spent so many sleepless nights in the House Of Madness.
The difference was, he was never locked up; until now.
He had never thought the House Of Madness was as dire or as horrifying as Alice made it out to be.
He was wrong, Alice was wrong; it was worse.

"You used the earrings, tea cup and cards magic."
A statement not a question.
The real question was why? Or how?
How did Nik break the mental hold Victor put over her as a child?
How did he give her back memories she was only suppose to get back in time.
She knew she wasn't supposed to remember everything of her past life all at once, it wasn't safe.
"Yes, with the help of three magically infused objects I could let you remember."
"How?"
Alice didn't think he would answer, "I can tamper with a persons dreams."
Fear.
Alice felt utter fear, "what do you mean?"
Nik lifted his chin and the tears were gone, "I can make whoever I want see whatever I want while they sleep."
Alice didn't like this development but she had questions, "let's say I believe you. How come you didn't give me back my memories earlier?"
Nik sighed, "I can't lie so you should believe me no matter what.
As for not showing you sooner the brain is very fragile.
The risk simply wasn't worth the reward."
"Reward?"
"I had to balance the selfish desire of wanting you to remember me as you did as a child but I ignored it because I will always put you first."
Alice gulped, "why show me now?"
Nik looked pained when he said, "don't play dumb.
I know and you know it's only a matter of time until you find a way to get my brother out of the House Of Madness-"
Alice cut him off, "and you don't want me to.
You want me to hate him.
Well that's not possible! Because I love him!"
"You can hate someone and still love them.
Regardless, I hope it's worth it, because my brother sooner or later will be the death of you."

Terrett had been on his third cup of tea when Nivens heard a knock on their door.
No one had actually knocked, Nivens had heard someone was about to and ran to the door before they could.
"Nik, what a pleasant surprise.
Please come in and join us for tea."
Nik wasn't in the tea mood but he needed to talk to Nivens and Terrett.
"Thank you."
Nik followed Nivens to their sunrooms of sort.
He had always had tea with them outside, it was a interesting change.
"Hello Nikolai", Terrett said with a smile.
"Good afternoon Terrett", Nik said always the perfect gentlemen.
"What brings you here?" Terrett was always down to busy.
"Let the man have some tea before you question him", Nivens said, the perfect host.
In response the teapot moved and poured Nik a cup.
"Wonderful!" Terrett said with a clap.
Nik didn't feel wonderful, "I don't know what to do."
Terrett sighed, "so I take it the walk down memory lane didn't work?"
That was the problem, it had.
Nik had been successful in showing her all the ways Ari had fucked up and gotten her killed. He had also been able to show her fond memories of him.
Yet she hadn't cared.
Nivens knew; he was great at reading people, "she's in shock. She needs time, after all you are the villain to her story."
Nik didn't want to be the villain in her story, he wanted to be the hero that got the girl.
But that role was meant for the blond blue eyed prince.
Ari; not him.