[Remus Lupin] ~ Our Own Pace

"Fuck."

I muttered when I realized that, in order to open that door, I would need to lose my source of light and risk a possible panic attack, just to escape Filch's filthy hands. This really wouldn't be happening if I didn't have such an enormous need to annoy a certain Gryffindor perfect - well, my need wasn't to annoy him, per say, more like to... overpass him and his little gang of idiotic and pathetic excuses of troublemakers, all of which I held very dearly.

At Filch's oncoming approach, I quickly extinguished the light in my wand and unlocked the room, stepping inside not even a second later and closing the door, quickly but silently. I began taking steps away from the door, in order to be able to cast Lumos again without it being noticed by Filch when he walked past the door.
The only problem was, everything I saw was a room, completely dark with not even a little flash of light whatsoever, and even though my rational side told me the door was right in front of me, panic was beginning to take over. Just why did I have to go to the owlery to deliver those howlers I had charmed to explode and cause the receiver's clothes and hair to turn green?

Oh yeah, right. Because those idiots had given me bubble-gum pink hair and I'd had an allergic reaction to the products they'd used. Of course, they had all been kind enough to apologize to me once they saw the state it had left me in and they were surprisingly quick to transport me to the hospital wing, but we'd been together in this school for almost five years.
They surely couldn't expect me to just let it slide and forgive them that easily, could they?

I tripped on something as I walked backwards and fell to the floor, which made me freeze in fear, because as soon as I fell, I felt hands on my arms. I began trembling as I tried my best to get out of their grip while only seeing the darkness of the room. Whoever they were tried their best to calm me, until they lit their wand with the Lumos Charm. My panic dropped significantly at the sight of Remus -just the perfect I was seeking to annoy with my prank- who had crouched in front of me, in an attempt to help me.
"Are you okay?" He whispered softly and I nodded slightly as he handed me my wand, which I hadn't noticed had fallen to the ground. I nodded as I grabbed the wand, still too shaken to talk. "Do you want me to stay with you for a little?" I nodded once again, bracing my knees against my chest as I rocked back and forth. Remus placed a hand on my shoulder, to which I reacted by looking up to his face. Without thinking, my hands traced the scars on his face, which I had always wondered about the origin. Remus recoiled slightly from my touch, and I immediately retracted my hand, mumbling a small apology to the Gryffindor in front of me.
Remus sighed as he shook his head, sitting down beside me, momentarily extinguishing the light from his wand briefly to summon something, but lighting it back on as soon as he had his bag in his hand.
He rummaged through his bag before extending me a bar of chocolate. "I find it that chocolate always helps me feel better when I'm scared." He said with a smile, and I took the candy from him, muttering a small thanks before I took a small bite.

I had never held a big vendetta against the Marauders, this back-and-forth pranking had lasted for almost five years now, but it was friendly banter, something which entertained not only ourselves, but our classmates as well.
But when I had been transferred from Beauxbatons after my parents had decided that I was better off studying here rather than in France and had sent me on my merry way to live with my godparents, the Marauders had been the first ones to welcome me to my second year of wizarding school, which was my first at Hogwarts. They had welcomed me even before my housemates.

"Are you feeling any better?" Remus asked after a small silence and I looked at him, to find him watching me attentively.
"Yes, thank you Remus." I smiled softly at him. "As you can tell, I can't handle the dark very well."
"I figured. Your accent gets thicker when your emotions are all over the place. Whenever you're happy that your prank managed to annoy James or made Sirius set boundaries you start speaking faster and with a thick French accent." He said as I widened my eyes at his perceptiveness. I always knew he was perceptive, but never thought he was this attentive. "I think it's adorable."
I eyed Remus weirdly. Yes, we were friends, but he never had made any sort of comment, nor had he ever called me 'adorable'.
"Thank you I think?"