[Harry Potter] ~ A lover and a saviour

SECOND YEAR

"Hello mud blood." I heard a voice call out from behind me and I sighed. It was Malfoy, once again coming to antagonize me.
I cradled my bag against my chest as I kept walking, ignoring him, hoping that it would make them go away, but I should've known better.
"I'm talking to you, your filthy waste of magic!" he repeated as I heard his voice and footsteps coming gradually closer. I just needed to be fast enough and get to the charms classroom, inside he wouldn't bother me, not with professor Flitwick there to see.
Usually my twin sister would be with me and everything would be more bearable, but ever since she'd made friends with Potter and Weasley she had kind of forgotten about me, but it was fine, at least she was doing okay in here, so I was happy for her.

I ducked into professor Flitwick's classroom and sat down, taking my books out as Professor Flitwick smiled at me. "Good afternoon, miss Granger. I trust you had a good lunch?"
I smiled at my professor before nodding. "Good afternoon professor. Yes, I did, what about you, professor?"
Flitwick smiled briefly. "As any lunch at Hogwarts has always been. Delicious and heaven sent."
We sat in silence for a few minutes until the rest of the students began to fill the classroom, and I was thankful that the Gryffindor second year students shared charms with the Hufflepuff second years.
Longbottom approached me and fidgeted before I sent a smile his way. "Hello Longbottom. Can I help you?"
Longbottom nodded as he gestured to the empty chair next to me. "Can I seat there?"
I looked at the empty seat. Usually, Hermione would take the seat next to mine, but seeing as she had begun to tag along more with Potter, and Weasley I figured she would be more interested in seating nearer to them.
"Of course! Seat down!" I said with a smile and Neville heaved out a sigh of relief as he took the seat.

Hermione finally arrived, with the other two boys, as predicted, and she eyed the occupied seat beside me with a dumbfounded look on her face. So, she thought she could dump her twin sister and I'd still be her greatest friend and not hurt in the slightest that she'd left me on my own when we knew there was a petrifying monster lurking around? One such monster that tended to attack muggleborns such as myself?
She'd be safe with Weasley and Potter, but I had to venture alone through Hogwarts, risking getting petrified. And yes, I might've been jealous that she was spending time with someone else, but it had always been just me and her against everyone, and suddenly, she'd left me stranded.
"Good afternoon class. Today we will be reviewing and practising the Freezing charm, Immobulus. I will give each of you a cage with two pixies, and you will work in pairs to freeze them. " Professor Flitwick waved his wand and a cage appeared in front of Neville and I and we smiled at each other. "You may begin."
Neville opened his textbook as he quietly suggested. "I think it's better if we review a little bit on the theorical side first, don't you agree?"
"Yes, that sounds great Neville." I paused before I looked at him. "You don't mind if I call you Neville, do you?"
Neville smiled before he found the right page on the textbook. "Of course, I don't!"
I smiled back.
This would be the start of an amazing friendship!

(...)

I had gone to the bathroom alone because Neville couldn't follow me there -much to his dismay, because he was always with me to ensure I wasn't caught by the petrifying monster- and when I next came to my senses, I was on the Hospital Wing, and Neville was seating at my bedside, holding a piece of paper in his hand. "Neville?" I called out and Neville put the piece of paper on the nightstand as he smiled.
"I know that I joke a lot about you needing to be shut up sometimes, but not in this way. Your silence was suffocating." he admitted, and I smiled as he hugged me. "Godric, when you got petrified and they found you..."
"Who found me?" I asked and Neville sighed. "Percy and Clearwater did. They were doing their rounds and found you." Neville grabbed the piece of paper and handed it to me. "Your sister asked me to give you this."
I grabbed the piece of paper from him before I read it.