Chapter 19: Pledge

Hiroka noticed Riku's reaction. On his seat, he chuckled.

"...I-it was my very first time being... dragged around a lot...Just thinking about it made my stomach kinda sick," Riku said, troubled by the memory of being forced and dragged around by Allea while shopping and being asked too many questions. How she enjoyed going from store to store, looking for the lost deal of the day, as if shopping were a fairytale game.

"Hahaha, I figured Allea would do that," laughed the prince. Riku looked at him questioningly, wondering if the prince had experienced what he had. When the prince noticed this, he smiled and continued, "When Allea became my personal maid, she did the same thing to me when she picked out clothes for me to wear, but I didn't realize it was that intense and did that to you; she was kinda terrifying when it came to clothes, but I gradually kinda got used to it now; her behavior is kinda motherly to me. She was fun to be with"

"I see," Riku laughed as he listened to Hiroka's situation. When Hiroka saw this, he laughed too and noticed that Riku was talking more slowly than usual.

When the laughter stopped, silence returned, along with a breeze that helped them relax even more. It was awkward just watching them not talk much, and Hiroka was unsure how to begin the conversation about Riku staying at the palace and being his personal knight, but surprisingly, Riku started the conversation.

"Hiroka, Allea told me that I would be staying here at the palace from now on, is that true?" Riku asked, his gaze fixed on Hiroka. Hiroka noticed his seriousness and remained silent for a while. He turned his gaze away from Riku and toward the flowers that were swaying in the breeze.

"Yes, that's correct," Hiroka replied and Riku was surprised. He only inquired about Hiroka's presence to ensure that his ears were functioning properly when the maid told him about him staying.

"Why?" Riku questioned even though he already knew the answer but he only asked again to make sure if it's true.

Hiroka remained silent for a while, explaining to himself that he didn't want the heroine to find you first and use you. That's what he wanted to say to him, but Riku might think that Hiroka was crazy and asked who this heroine was.

"I wanted you to be my personal knight and protect me from danger," Hiroka replied seriously and this time the second prince looked at him instead of the flowers.

Riku opened his mouth and tried to say something, but he quickly closed it and looked down at his recently bought shoes. The shoe was black, and it was neatly clean.

This time, Riku opened his mouth and said, "But why me? There are many better knights who can protect you, and I'm only just a beggar, a weak person who only begs for people to give me money or food. I can't be a knight"

Hiroka raised his right eyebrow, surprised by what he heard Riku say. He's not sure whether to laugh or cry at him.

Riku being... weak? Even though he saved the second prince from the fatty's magic with that kind of speed...

"Well, no one in this kingdom would indeed believe that a beggar like you would have the permission to wield a sword and be my knight, but who cares if you're a beggar! I don't care what your status may be, but you can be a knight! The only one I will allow being my knight...Is you." Riku, the half-human/half-elf, had heard about the second prince. This took aback him.

"What do you say?" Hiroka questioned, smiling and raising his hand in front of him, waiting for Riko to take his hand in his, but Riku abruptly rose from his seat and kneeled one leg with his right arm at his chest. Hiroka was stunned when he saw this and tried to tell him to stand when Riku spoke up.