Chapter 15: Samantha Peterson

"Hey...Hey!" a voice hollered after me.

I had just gotten out of my Anthropology class and headed toward the library at two in the afternoon. I turned to see Samantha Peterson behind me.

"Omg, Kosier! What the hell? I've been calling after you for like three minutes now! Are you deaf?!"

I grimaced at Samantha's less than savory greeting. She was a pretty girl, but it stopped at her body and face. "Sorry," I mumbled, clutching my textbook clumsily to my chest. I'd almost lost my grip on it when she grabbed my shoulder and tugged me roughly to a stop. "What do you want?"

Samantha always wanted something from me.

She flicked her highlighted brown hair behind her back and looked at me with those bright green eyes of hers. "Look, finals is like, in one week, and I need someone to study with. Everyone else in class is like, stupid."

I grinned at her with only half of my face.

Not so long ago, I might have been delighted that Samantha deemed me worthy enough to study with her. Now, I barely cared. She needed to pass a class that she hadn't paid attention to all semester, and I was her one-way ticket to a good grade.

"I'm sorry, I already have study plans," I said, turning away. I really didn't want to be late for work.

"What the hell?!" she yelled after me. Samantha ran to my side. I looked at her made-up face as she caught up with me, a designer label bag hanging off her back. "What? You finally get a girlfriend or something?"

I raised my eyebrows. "No."

Granted, I had no idea what the hell Victor was to me. Was there anything there? Or was he simply toying with me? Ever since the night he'd pretended to kiss me a couple weeks ago, I'd barely been able to keep my head on straight. When we were together, things seemed to be normal. He'd kept a respectable distance from me while training me in the art of dressing better, making sure I brushed my hair and also that I ate. He was a pain about that, but I was looking and feeling a lot better overall. Victor even started talking to me about how he managed to get so many women every Friday.

"Before you know it, you'll be having women crawling all over you!" he'd said to me.

I'd laughed it off, not wanting to ask him the serious question of whether or not he was gay or even bi. The one time I tried, he simply told me that he enjoyed the company of but that the details didn't matter as he was only serious about one person. And so, I continued to listen to Victor's advice, all while starting to question whether or not I was gay.

"Are you going to answer me or what?" Samantha asked harshly, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"What did you ask me?" I bit my bottom lip.

"God!" she moaned, "Are you, like, dating anyone? Is that why you are blowing me off?! I mean, c'mon! I'm Samantha Peterson! I need a study partner, and you're the smartest guy in class! Granted," she looked down at my clothes snottily. "Before two weeks ago you were also the most hideous dresser in our year. You'd be stupid not to accept my offer."

I grimaced at Samantha, "Honestly, Samantha. I really do have other plans."

"So, you do have a girlfriend?"

"No," I answered.

"A boyfriend??" she raised a thinly plucked eyebrow at me.

I swallowed, "No."

I took in a deep breath, readjusting my book in my arms. Our Anthropology textbook was anything but light. "Samantha, I really have to go. I have work in thirty minutes."

"What time do you get off?" she asked. It seemed Samantha was not going to take no for an answer. "I get off at eleven," I replied.

"What time is your lunch?" she asked.

"My lunch is at seven," I said flatly. Oh god, Samantha, just leave me alone, I thought. I smiled at her, trying to hide my uncomfortableness.

"I'll meet you in the coffee shop in the library. I'll buy. What do you like?" she asked.

I made to brush her off again when I felt the warmth of Jenna's arms wrap around me, "He likes orange chicken and rice."

I crumpled under Jenna's weight as I watched Samantha's face screw up in something that looked like jealousy.

"And you are?" Samantha asked coldly.

Jenna released her arms from around me, "I'm Phillip's best friend from high school, Jenna." She reached her hand toward Samantha in greeting. Samantha took it, smiling rigidly, then turned away and rolled her eyes. "Phillip would love to study with you. Right, Phillip?"

I looked disapprovingly at Jenna. She smiled and patted me on the back, then whispered in my ear. "She's gorgeous. Is this the girl in your Anthropology class you've been talking about?"

"Yeah, but..." I closed my mouth before I said too much. How could I tell her that I wasn't interested?

"I think you two should study together," Jenna smiled warmly. "Oh, by the way, I went and got boba across the street. It's kind of crap compared to the place downtown, but it should hold you over until lunch." She wiggled a Thai tea in front of my face along with a black straw. I took it from her, smiling.

"Thanks, Jenna, you're the best!"

Jenna smiled in turn and then crossed her arms. "Oh, by the way, that new guy, Thomas Langerty. He is starting to get on my nerves. He's missed class five times now. He only comes when the sun is covered by the clouds. Said some shit like, 'Oh, Mr. Clarkson, I have a rare eye condition that doesn't allow me to come out of my house in direct sunlight.' Seriously, the dude's an idiot. Sunglasses exist for a reason!" She looked at me and then at Samantha Peterson, who still stood in front of me looking rather upset. "Guy's a real tool. Stay away from him."

"That is odd," I said. I didn't think too much of it, only that he seemed to annoy Jenna too much. "He hasn't tried to talk to you again, has he?"

"Not really," Jenna said. "He just sits next to me during my biology class and lab. I'm not exactly happy that he followed me out of lab late last night and followed me for a while. He scrammed when he saw Clark. A real piece of work, that one." Jenna ruffled her hands through her curly hair, "Anyway, Phillip. Enjoy work and studying with Samantha here," she winked at her. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay," I said. I hugged Jenna goodbye and then looked over at Samantha, who was staring at me as if she were about to rip my head off. "What?" I asked.

"Um, okay. She's super pretty. What the hell Kosier?! If I had known you had someone that pretty as your friend, I would have asked to hang out with you sooner."

I shook my head, "Honestly, Samantha, I have to go."

"I'll see you later!" she called after me.

I raised my hand in the air and waved goodbye with my back turned to her. Once I would have loved to have a girl like Samantha Peterson in my life, and now, I just didn't know what I wanted, but it definitely wasn't her.