Chapter 19: An Awkward Situation

A few minutes felt like hours. Grueling hours. I tapped my foot, bit my lip, and bobbed nervously in my seat, wondering how the hell I was going to make it through this awkward situation. Would Jenna and Clark assume that Victor caused the bruised mess on my neck? Just because Victor was living with me didn't mean that he caused the hickey or the swollenness of my lips. Did it?

The soft padding of feet sounded on the wooden staircase. I was suddenly glad I hadn't eaten. I felt like I was going to vomit.

Jenna started, "Oh, here she comes!"

Victor's foot revealed itself, clad in a soft grey sock on the wooden staircase. Next came the black of his trousers followed by one of his ridiculous flowery embroidered button-down shirts. He chose a green one this time with golden maple leaves running down the sleeves. His hair was wet, towel dried, and slightly wavy. It fell over his shoulders, leaving slight wet stains on his chest. I looked up at his eyes, weary of their color. He'd masked them into a beautiful chocolate brown. Victor smiled down at me and then at Jenna and Clark. "Hello."

Clark looked over at me, "Dude, what?"

Jenna's jaw dropped, "You're the guy from the bar! Omg! Phillip, what?!" She turned to me, almost knocking my glasses off my face. "What is he doing here?"

"I'm living with him," Victor said. He smiled. It could have brightened even the darkest of nights.

"Oh, please tell me Samantha Peterson was here last night!" Clark groaned.

"Indeed," Victor said, a devious smile crossed his face. "And what a night it was. Wasn't it Phillip?"

Again, Jenna looked at me, lost for words. She was probably wondering why this guy was here, living with me!

I cleared my throat, "Yeah, wow, what a night. Took forever to get her off of me." The corner of Victor's mouth curled into something wicked. I did not want to know what that look meant.

"Damn," Clark said. "So, I'm guessing you took her home?"

"Yeah," I spoke nervously. I yanked a piece of my hair from the base of my skull. Wincing, I let the thin gold strand go.

Victor stopped at the bottom of the staircase, "Oh yes. Once they were done making a horrible ruckus in the bathroom, he took her home. Goodness knows she begged to stay, but as I need my beauty sleep, she had to go." Again, I choked, spit clogging my throat. My heart was pounding. Way to cover for me, Victor.

Jenna looked him up and down, "Wow, Phillip! So, you got lucky?"

"I wouldn't say that."

Victor eyed me, taking another step down the staircase, "Don't be modest. I would say you got very lucky last night. Was it first or second base?" His gaze traveled the length of my torso and my knees buckled. I held on to the back of the couch for support.

"Guessing by the marks on his neck? First and a half," Clark chuckled.

Victor looked at me. "Indeed. To be fair, I think she was a little rough." His words hung in the air thickly. I dared not peer up at him. I stared at the wood floor.

"So, are you two like dating?" Jenna asked me. "Cause if so, OMG!"

Victor smiled, yet said nothing. I looked up at Jenna, "I really don't know if Samantha and I are that compatible. Besides, I have Victor living with me now."

"Which is so cool!," Jenna exclaimed. "I mean, you're gorgeous! I was wondering why Phillip was looking so much better. You rubbing off on him or something?"

"Perhaps," Victor spoke quietly.

My face flushed. My insides turning in knots. I felt like puking, the nausea in my stomach hitting an all-time high. I looked up at Jenna, my mouth screwed tight.