Chapter 42: Why Haven't You Fed?

Day swiftly turned into night as one book after another left Thomas's hands into mine. Finally, at well past eleven o'clock in the evening, I wondered why I had tried to get everything done today. I shelved the last book with a sigh of relief.

"All done!" Thomas said excitedly. He looked exhausted again. I wondered if he was aware that his dark blue eyes now glinted gold every time he looked at me. No matter how hard Thomas tried to conceal his nature, I could see it plainly now that the sun had set.

"Thank god," I said. I fumbled backwards on the stool and Thomas swiftly caught me.

"Sorry," he whispered, swiftly taking his hands away from where they had caught me around the waist.

"It's fine," I sucked in my lower lip. My face flushed with a sudden heat. After a day in such close proximity, it was difficult not to feel a sudden wake of intimacy between us. Not only that, but I'd nearly forgotten that he was the reason my parents were dead. "Thanks for helping me. It would have taken me at least another day without you."

"Of course," Thomas smiled weakly, folding his hands in front of himself. "Are you hungry at all? It's been a long day. We could go out to dinner if you want. But if you don't want to, that's okay. I understand. It's late. You probably want to get home."

I snorted light-heartedly, "I'd like that. I just have to check one more thing, then we can out of here."

Thomas nodded, hiding queasiness under a grin.

"All done!" I exclaimed proudly after making sure all the books were in order. "Let's get out of here! Yeah?" Thomas swallowed hard, looking at my neck more than he should have. "My eyes are up here, dude," I said, pointing to my face. Thomas's eyes flickered up, stopping at my lips. The look on his face was languid, contemplative. He licked his lips and then finally met my gaze.

"Sorry, I'm uh. I'm so thirsty," he winced. "I'm going to get a drink real fast. I'll be back." He went to go, and I grabbed him by the wrist, stopping him in his tracks.

"You can get a drink right here," I said, tightening my grip. "There's a water fountain that way." I tipped my head to the side. Thomas swallowed hard and made to move away from me. I stopped him again, raising my eyebrow.

"Thanks," he said, shaking himself free. He looked at me as I stepped aside. What kind of a game was I playing? I wanted to see whether or not Thomas was going to go to the water fountain. His throat bobbed as he moved toward the back of the library, where the steel water fountain shone through the doors. I watched him as he passed through them, bent down, and began to drink.

No time like the present to see if I could get him to reveal himself to me. I passed the cart we carried the books on and opened the doors. I watched as Thomas drank deeply, moaning as if he was in pain as he did so. I couldn't let him go on like this.

"Tell me, why haven't you fed?" The words burbled out of my mouth quickly enough. He jumped, turning around wide-eyed to stare at me.

"Fed?" he whispered.

"Yes, why haven't you fed. You look like hell."

He laughed nervously, "I don't know what you're talking about, Phillip? It's not like I'm..."

"A vampire?" I cut him off. "You don't have to keep it a secret, Thomas. I've known for a while now."

"I," he looked to the side for an escape. "Ah shit! Phillip, I don't think you..."

"You don't have to lie." I put my hand on his shoulder. "I've known since the night Brinley was attacked."

He went deathly pale. "Phillip, it's not. It's not. I didn't!" he choked. I watched as red water began to fill his eyes. "I mean...oh no, no, no, no!"