Chapter 32: He Kissed Me and I Ran

"Oh dear," Jenna said over the phone line. "Does Victor know what happened between you and that..."

I sighed, tipping my head back on the couch cushion, "Yeah, Victor knows. He witnessed the entire thing."

"And?" she left space for me.

"He said we should be in the clear for now. That the murders on campus should ease up for a while, or at least be better concealed."

Jenna huffed, "Of course, the murders will ease up, Phillip! It's winter break! No one's going to be running around campus right now!"

"That's not what I meant," my mouth twisted anxiously.

"What do you mean?"

"Victor says that Thomas...the vampire is most likely in love with me."

"Ew! You barely even know the guy!"

"I know, I know!" I rubbed the skin in between my brows. My glasses slid down my face and into my lap. I'd have to get them readjusted the next time I went to see the eye doctor. "But he says he'll be less sloppy for a while...and probably won't kill anyone I actually care about."

"Why?" Jenna didn't sound convinced.

"Victor said that vampires don't like to lose the trust of the person they love."

"Well, that's a relief!" She paused, "So when are you going to fuck up and tell this Thomas guy that you're dating Victor."

I rolled my head back, looking to see if Victor was making his way into the living room. Just ten minutes ago, he'd walked down the stairs in one of my sweaters, a burgundy one, and kissed me. He said he was going to make coffee, but he was taking too long. I didn't think I could stand eating food right now. My stomach was a mess. Dating one vampire was weird enough, but juggling two? Well, I wasn't dating Thomas. I'd hurt his feelings by shutting down his advances. Nothing like thinking that you're going to die to shut down the mood.

"I'm not dating him, Jenna! He kissed me, and I ran for it."

"What?" she yelled, "The evil vampire guy kissed you?!" I moaned, crumpling into the sofa even more than I already had. "Was he any good?" I averted my eyes, wishing Victor would come to rescue me.

"I don't know," I whimpered.

"Oh my god, Phillip! He was either a good kisser, or he wasn't! Spill!"

I bit my lip, "I don't know, Jenna. Up until a month ago, I'd never been kissed before in my life. And up until last night, I've only kissed Victor."

She laughed, "And we all know he's amazing. Can't wait for the sex stories."

"Oh god!" I clasped my head.

"Don't be embarrassed. It's natural. So, tell me. Was this super evil vampire guy better than Victor?"

"It was different," I said quietly.

"How so?"

I winced, "He climbed on top of me, cupped my face, and then...just went for it. "

"Oh shit!" Jenna grumbled on the other end of the line.

"What?" I heard Clark yell.

"Another vampire kissed Phillip! You know, the one that's been killing people all over campus!"

"That weirdo Thomas Langerty in your bio class?"

"Yeah!"

"Oh, man! Tell Phillip I send my condolences! Are he and Victor alright?"

She asked me immediately.

"Yeah, we're fine. I'm just freaked out, is all. I'm not sure I can keep this up, Jenna. It feels wrong."

"What? That you have another hot vampire drooling all over you or...?"

I tongued my lip, "It's not exactly exciting to kiss someone who's murdered tons of people."

"Well, what about Victor?"

"That's different," I sighed. "Also, I just don't like the fact that I have to play with someone's emotions. I know he's a bad guy and all, but..." I looked out the window. A horned owl stared back at me. I ignored it, not thinking much of it, completely forgetting the prior week's events. "I don't know, Jenna. It just feels wrong."

"Maybe vampires don't ascribe to human mating rituals."

"That's not what I mean, Jenna! I feel bad. Like it's going to land me in a coffin sooner than I expected."

"True," Jenna replied. "But, at least for now, we all know that we can enjoy our winter vacation without being ripped to shreds. I assume other people you don't know are still on the menu for this Thomas guy, right?"

"I would think so."

"But we're good? You're immediate friend group, right?"

Victor sat down beside me, "Tell her everything is fine."

"Victor says you guys will be okay." He handed me a cup of coffee, then kissed me on the head.

"Cool. Well, Phillip, I've gotta go. My parents are taking Clark and me up to the mountains for the holidays. So we get to see some snow, you know?"

"Alright. Have fun, Jenna."

"Thanks. Love you."

"I love you too," the phone cut. I set it down on the coffee table and looked up at Victor. "Please tell me that this is just coffee."

Victor's mouth opened wide, revealing his fangs. I would never get used to that. "It's just coffee, Phillip Kosier."

I looked past him at the owl staring in at us. It averted its gaze, twisting its head until it was facing the opposite direction.

"What is it?"

I shook my head, "Just an owl."

Victor nodded, his gaze following mine to the window, "Very pretty creature, isn't it?"

I sighed, watching its eyes lock with mine, "Yeah." Our gazes held, then the owl suddenly took off.

Victor leaned back, black trouser leg coming over another. His arm hugged me close while I drank the hot coffee, unsure if it was truly free of his blood. "You know, Phillip, I've been thinking." I looked up at him. "It's been forever since I celebrated Christmas. Do you think we could? Oh, how I miss the tradition of lighting up a tree." I looked at Victor's face. At the rare play of innocence that spread across it.

"Yeah," I choked out. "I think that would be nice." Victor's eyes softened. He leaned over and kissed me on the mouth, one hand enveloping the side of my face, fingertips grazing the edges of my cheek. His tongue traced my lips, begging for entry. I let him in, moaning softly as I did so. Before long, I was wrapped up in Victor's kisses, begging silently for the release I knew would not come.

"Just breathe, Phillip. Everything will be okay," Victor whispered into my ear. I bucked against him, letting out a stifled moan. His hands touched me low, unbuttoning my pants and his teeth drew a line on my neck.

"Victor," I pleaded.

Without another word, Victor's teeth slid into me.